• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods are not ripening

Or, without the drug culture reference, let the peppers take the time they want/need to ripen. Be happy with those pods too and the healthy plants you raised! Chili plants take their time to sprout, grow, and ripen no matter what their external influences are!

My cayenne plant has numerous pods that have been full size for well over a month. Saturday I went to a golf tourney then to the lake and they were still green. Came home sunday and noticed one was changing color. Came home from work today and it's almost all red. They'll turn color when they're ready. ;)

They do take awhile for first pods! I have been waiting a month for my yellow 7 pods to change, I can see them starting to yellow, but it will be another week or so before they are fully ripe. Like others said try to be patient :)

Im waiting too, it can be frustrating going outside every day and not seeing a change. Everyone is right though. I dont think they will rot off the plant before ripening, so its just best to wait.

Seems to be a common theme lately. But I'll echo the sentiments of the others. Wait and you shall be rewarded good sir. And I speak from experience when I say I also wanted to rip off the first pods I saw as soon as I saw them. But it was well worth the wait :)

Or, without the drug culture reference, let the peppers take the time they want/need to ripen. Be happy with those pods too and the healthy plants you raised! Chili plants take their time to sprout, grow, and ripen no matter what their external influences are!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHah "drug culture" like its been said relax you have done nothing wrong

I have some peppers in a DWC hydroponic system. My plants have probably 50 flowers each and lots of new buds and probably 15 or 20 peppers on them. Is it possible that I am letting too many flowers develop? WIll this slow down my ripening time because I have also had some peppers on for 2 months full size that have barely turned?

Thanks for the help guys!

No. The flowers developing means that you have given the plant good growing conditions. It will continue to flower until that changes. That's a GOOD thing.

The pods will ripen when they are ready......no other answer really. Some turn quick, some take their time. Just wait it out or you will not get the correct heat/flavor.

marquiskissel, my perspective on this is a little different. Picking the blooms off will not make full sized peppers ripen faster but it will make the new peppers grow faster to reach full size sooner because fewer are growing, so those will end up ripe sooner if you are growing fewer. However if you pick the blooms off you will have a lower total yield which seems a bit against the purpose of growing peppers.

Hahah, of course as it turns out, I popped down yesterday to check on the plants and there was the first red one! THanks a bunch guys! I'm sure it was your confidence that got them going! Love this site.

Shots!!!!!!!!!!
Be happy you have pods is the way I see it :dance:

My flippin Serrano has over a hundred blossoms and not one set that I saw soooo yeah. Like stated above, pure some shots and have some fun because you got peppers on the way!

Hot peppers are not the fastest growing plants and they do require a lot of patience.
I know how you feel though because I'm not the most patient person in the world lol.

Outstanding! Here's to the first of many ripe pods!

Back