• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods are now orange instead of red?

This is a strange one. I've got 12 Butch T plants (all clones from the same mother) that I moved outside a few weeks ago. They're doing great, but the pods that have ripened since they were moved outside are orange instead of red. Some of these plants put out pods before I moved them outside, and they were the same color red that the mother produced all last year. However, since the move, all of the pods are orange.

What could be the cause of this? It's happening on all of the clones.

CAPCOM said:
not fully ripened. A clone of a plant is still that plant and should produce likewise fruit.

That was my understanding. Does the weather have anything to do with the color of the pods? If I leave them on there long enough will they eventually turn from orange to red? They have gotten to a solid uniform orange color as if they were finished. I'll post some pictures if that helps.

These are normally fire engine red. Currently orange on all of the plants from the same mother, moved outside. I'm guessing that cool early spring nights here in Sonoma are probably the cause?

IMG_8237.JPG

With more time they should ripen to red Grover.  Nice looking pods!  :)

SmokenFire said:
With more time they should ripen to red Grover.  Nice looking pods!   :)

Thanks! I may have moved them outside a bit too soon, but I ran of out patience. I had 1 really amazing Butch T plant last year, and took her inside for the winter. While in there I made a ton of clones, 12 of which are now growing in the backyard (and 3 more were turned into hanging pots.) Should be a good year!

grover said:
Thanks! I may have moved them outside a bit too soon, but I ran of out patience. I had 1 really amazing Butch T plant last year, and took her inside for the winter. While in there I made a ton of clones, 12 of which are now growing in the backyard (and 3 more were turned into hanging pots.) Should be a good year!
pics of hanging pots? They work out good that way?

Malarky said:
pics of hanging pots? They work out good that way?

Not really. :-) But they are just getting started, and I'm planning to cut them so they end up hanging down. Total experiment! I'll shoot photos soon.

Back