• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods Finally Forming

By all accounts and comparisons I should have had pods at least a month ago.

My rookie guess (first year growing) is they weren't getting pollinated.  I had what seemed like round after round of flowers, but none ever turned into pods.

I finally started shaking, rolling with cotton swabs, vibrating the flowers with an electric toothbrush and it seems to have started paying off :)

Fingers crossed, they start fruiting like crazy.  I probably have 8 weeks or less for them to fully fruit and mature.

Anybody with late fruit experience?  Am I cutting it close?

M

At least you can take comfort from not being the only newbie in that boat. Half of my plants have yet to set a pod. For me though it's been a number of factors, mostly the worst summer in ages around here. But my flowers have not got that much pollen in them, I'm comparing to the others that have set that did have tonnes of pollen. Either way, you can always eat green pods, nothing wrong with that. Or take them inside the garage or something to save them from frost. 

Yeah, late summer in Alabama as well.... I can only hope it stays reasonably warm this Fall. I've got a lot of pods on some that will take a long time to gain color and the others have blossoms only - 2nd year grower. Last year was way too much, this year... nothing so far.... I checked photos from last year and I was harvesting into October so I remain hopeful!!!

Actually helps to hear others in the same situation.  But I still hope we all have a ton of peppers to harvest soon :)

The electric toothbrush method amazed me to be honest.  Turn it on and touch the back of the open flower and you can actually see a big puff of pollen drop.

Some of my plants have so many flowers it's not feasible to hit them all with the toothbrush so I've been shaking the bucket.

Going out to check on them now.  Hope more have set since the last time I checked....which was only last night lol.

M

Worst case scenario Mike, you could take a short drive and get more than you can handle from me. I have far too many pods, and I'm just up the road from you. Check out my videos. You'll see exactly what I mean.

Tim

peppernovice said:
    Worst case scenario Mike, you could take a short drive and get more than you can handle from me. I have far too many pods, and I'm just up the road from you. Check out my videos. You'll see exactly what I mean.

Tim

I clicked on your profile and didn't see any videos.  Youtube?

And appreciate the offer, I may take you up on, even if just to meet another pepper addict :)

M

Sounds great Mike! If you haven't tried Pro-mix soil for containers, try it. All I use and the plants have tons of pods.
I attribute this to the pro-mix. Ive used other soils and the plants love it!
Not saying that was the problem but give it a go :-)

Dave

stoney's_ghost said:
Sounds great Mike! If you haven't tried Pro-mix soil for containers, try it. All I use and the plants have tons of pods.
I attribute this to the pro-mix. Ive used other soils and the plants love it!
Not saying that was the problem but give it a go :-)
Dave
I second that. Last year little to none. Switched to pro mix mid season this grow and has improved tremendously. Pro mix is my soil of choice.

Somebody said their local Home Depot had some.  I checked both HD and Lowes in my area and they don't carry it.  I may check the local seed and feed store and see if they have it.

Thanks for the recommendation.

M

Back