• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods split open once fully ripe.

This one plant out of 4 in the planter splits its pods open and folds back exposing the seed. They were bought as Thai hot from a local nursery. Good little compact producers loaded with pods all summer.
DSC06491.jpg

DSC06490.jpg

DSC06489-1.jpg

Wow! Never seen anything like that. Are the three other plants the same sort (Thai hot) producing pods that are the same shape? Maybe there's some sort of genetic defect with this plant.

I was having a similar experience with my diablo chili plant this year. They were not as extensive as some of these are more like the first pic. It could be that I picked them before they got that far though. I did notice that when I broke it open further, that there was what look like clear flesh. Maybe it could be another pepper that was beginning to grow inside it but being small they just split? I have seen larger peppers that seemed to have another pod growing inside it. I also see it time to time with oranges were it seemed like there were two growing together. That is my guess anyhow.

Now that is wicked cool. I'd say it's how the plant spreads it's seeds. Doesn't need any birds or other critters eating them then depositing the seeds to continue to survive. You have to respect a plant that evolved enough to not need a middleman anymore. Pick the peppers before they get 100% ripe and split.

I figured that the pepper was exposing its seeds so birds would peck at them Patrick. So far they all fold back like the pepper in pic 3 the first 2 were just earlier in their splitting open. Since as you can see I have a good many seed from these pods I have been picking them before they fully ripen and use them in a semi ripe state. As far as to their shape kentishman all are ruffly the same and how they are supposed to look. I also have Thai pepper that has the long pointy pods. The Thai peppers are one of my favorite for adding to soups and noodles. This may change with some of these bird peppers I am and will be growing now.

Now that is wicked cool. I'd say it's how the plant spreads it's seeds. Doesn't need any birds or other critters eating them then depositing the seeds to continue to survive. You have to respect a plant that evolved enough to not need a middleman anymore. Pick the peppers before they get 100% ripe and split.

Nice catch Patrick!!

I never would have guessed that one.

Back