• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Police Lives Matter

I do not normally get involved in controversial topics,and feel free to put this in the hot buttons if it needs to be, but given the situations that have continued to happen around our country, and now it happened in my back yard I have to say my piece. Like police or not, they are people just like us, they have families just like us.  The only difference is, they go to work to protect people that do not like them and risk their lives for people they don't know.  I actually have several friends that are police.  They are regular people who have a job to do and hate it when they have to see people at their worst.  I am not saying there are not bad seeds out there, as there definitely are, but I think we need to take a minute to imagine, what if their was no 911, what if the cops all quit and didn't respond when you had someone breaking into your house with your family inside with you on night shift not there to protect them?  A policeless society is not much of a society it is anarchy.  This has really hit home to me since I know the dad of one of these kids and I know several of the cops who had to risk their lives to bring these thugs in.  17 and 18 facing life in prison, for what????

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/local/2016/07/29/police-investigating-active-shooter-columbia/87697056/

What if we disarmed all but elite tactical teams similar to UK  and other countries? I have mixed feelings on gun control, I don't own any but don't care if others do. But it seems there's not enough training or too much of the wrong kind of training going on for the average officer to be packing heat. 

of course I commented before reading the article so my comment has little bearing to the thread.... but still

Totally agree with you my friend !  My great uncle was police chief here back in the day , 2 uncles were officers for 30 + yrs. and my dad was a park policeman for 5 yrs. and they were all the coolest fellows you'd ever met . Weren't gnarly but very relaxed .  but them days it was more relaxing ! 

The Hot Pepper said:
How have we gotten to a point where we're actually deciding whose lives matter? Ponder that!

All lives matter Pookster, except the Kool Aid Man.  Fuck that guy.
D3monic said:
What if we disarmed all but elite tactical teams similar to UK  and other countries? I have mixed feelings on gun control, I don't own any but don't care if others do. But it seems there's not enough training or too much of the wrong kind of training going on for the average officer to be packing heat. 

of course I commented before reading the article so my comment has little bearing to the thread.... but still

Yeah I wasn't really looking to make this about gun control, but since you brought it up, if you disarm the law-abiding citizens, then only the criminals will have guns.  That's my stance, but this thread was not meant to be about gun control.  The gun this punk used was legally purchased and licensed and stolen from his aunt while she was out of town.  If someone wants a weapon to inflict harm they will do it with whatever they can get their hands on, gun, homemade bomb, truck, potato, pokemon, whatever...  Its not the weapon, its the culture.  We as a society need to stand up and stop this nonsense.

wtf is up with that link? It wants me to take a survey. EFF that.

My FIL was a Seattle Police Detective. He has seen some messed up shit. But he also remembers the good stuff. Helping people, finding the bad guys, funny stuff and a lot of good people. I don't know what that link is about but I am friends with cops. In fact my favorite one here, is leaving to live in Alaska, that SoB. (Twisp isn't remote enough I guess. :rofl:)

Back