• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pollen

I have been hand pollinating my chilli plants to ensure a good crop and have noticed
the difference in the amount of pollen between species.
I have Thai Inferno and Thai Birds Eye and their flowers seem to have lots of pollen where as
a Red Habanero flowers have very little pollen.
is this normal for a Red Hab? Am i pollinating too soon, or worse is there a problem with my
Red Hab.
Cheers Kevvy

I have been hand pollinating my chilli plants to ensure a good crop and have noticed
the difference in the amount of pollen between species.
I have Thai Inferno and Thai Birds Eye and their flowers seem to have lots of pollen where as
a Red Habanero flowers have very little pollen.
is this normal for a Red Hab? Am i pollinating too soon, or worse is there a problem with my
Red Hab.
Cheers Kevvy

I tried pollinating my Habanero plants when they first began to bloom using a brush. There was little to no pollen to be seen on the brush. I have since let them be as I want to see how well two plants compare set fruit on their own.

My C.Baccatum Aji Amarillo flowers produce plenty of pollen that is visible on the brush. I'm experimenting using the brush to see how many flowers will set to fruit. Thus far every single flower has set to fruit except one. The flower that failed to set appeared to be the runt of the pack.

How does the fruit set compare between Thai Inferno, Thai Birds Eye and Red Hab?

The Thai inferno has very good fruit set. Next is the birds eye with some flower drop. The hab has yet to set a single fruit all flowers are dropping but i think that maybe because of a 40C xmas day the first day flowers appeard.

Back