• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Poop... Yeah this is happening!

ew, just...ew. Nothing in the world is as bad as dog poop, sticky foul meaty gross substance. I can't for the life of me imagine why you'd want to do anything with it at all. 
Unfortunately as a cyclist living in a place where people think their dog poop is someone else's problem (...they are right), I get far too much exposure. I don't even like dogs. 

Just don't do it. If you do, you might find you're invited to less and less parties...

My rule of compost has always been to NEVER compost the manure of anything that eats meat. The manure of domestic pets can be especially dangerous, just ask your vet. Cat shit contains some very nasty bugs. This is a VERY BAD idea and should not be pursued. I always have plenty of correct material to compost and have never considered domestic pet manure. Unless you have a horse or a cow as a pet. DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!

You can tell who skimmed through the op and didnt read it all. Sustainable living is our future , and would be years ahead if people had open minds.

And safety is my main concern in this experiment, in fact thats sort the challenge of it that makes it interesting .

Seem like less work than putting it in the trash to me.

1. fill bucket half way with water
  2. add waste and 1 small scoop of powder
  3. forget about it for 2 months
  4. add to worm bin?
Seems like a resorceful way to utileizes a something  normally over looked.

The fundamental (so to speak) error in the way we have thought about wastes for a couple of centuries is to think of them as waste at all, i.e. as dross or discard, a substance with no value — or a substance with extreme negative value (dirty, pathogenic, icky). The collection of manure and urine into centralised processing centres to be biocidally or biotically neutralised and then dumped into bodies of water means that we have interrupted the nutrient cycle, turned what should be a circular energy diagram into a linear one. Instead of returning the excess or byproduct of our metabolic function to the soil that produced the food we ate — as every other living creature on Earth does in a healthy biotic system — we have intervened; we “flush away” our own metabolic byproducts and (in modern times) dump them far, far from the fields which fed us. We thus impoverish the soil (by removing nutrients, minerals, elements which are not replaced), and increase the cost of agriculture by having to replace artificially the missing nutrients, etc.
http://www.compostguy.com/worm-composting/vermicomposting-humanure/

Weather you guys like it or not, this is WAY more environmentaly resonsable then chemical treatment or landfills. Yes it still needs to be prefected, but first people need to get out of thinking of it as waste and start thinking of it as a un-refined resource.

Also this could cure deaseases in 3rd world countries if tought to uneducated people.
Propor disposal of waste is a problem world wide.

Im not brave enough to take on human waste but you get the point.

Cayennemist said:
people need to get out of thinking of it as waste and start thinking of it as a un-refined resource.

I like the way you think, man. I'm pretty sure most people thought compost bins were pretty disgusting before they became fashionable (some ignorant folks still do). All it takes is someone to start thinking outside the box and try something new, however disgusting it may seem. Way to be a pioneer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSwnXnKxyR0

Ok

A little update...

So if any of you try this make sure you make a hole for gas to escape. I almost made a poop bomb!!!

I heard a noise like a sicada, but we dont have many of thoses here in San Diego.
When I followed it back to the bucket.To my surprise the lid was raised in the middle and looked like a bomb about to go off. Mind you this is hevy duty plastic and doesnt flex easily.

So I very slowly unscrewd it to release the pressure, like one would do with a soda bottle. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

The good news is, 2 days in and its making enough pressure to do this. That means its working.

The product I went with is K-57 http://www.roebic.com/k57-septic-system-cleaner.shtml

MSDS
http://www.roebic.com/pdf/msds/K-57-MSDS.pdf

The only pathogens that would be the hardest to kill would be spores, and some cysts. Cryptosporidium being one of the more scary pathogens in dog feces, they produce oocysts that can live outside a host for quite a while and take quite a bit of work to get rid of. Cysts take high temps for long periods of time to finally get rid of them and your method is likely to work! But I would get it tested first by a lab to be sure that there are no spores, cysts, or other types of capsules present.

The above instructions for using a slurry is not a good idea.  It will decompose anaerobically and take forever, smell horrible, and be really bad to handle.  You want aerobic (with oxygen) decomposition.  If you plan on a liquid method you will have to aerate it somehow - bubbling with a pump, or sloshing it around - like in a tumbler or similar device.  I would instead to the traditional compost method and not liquid one. There are small-scale liquid systems out there for human sewage - you could look these up.

Millorganite is a fertilizer made from sewage from Milwaukee, people sewage.  I have a friend who got her Masters in composting dead cows! And as far as dog poo being worse than other poo - not really.  There are relatively few pathogens humans share.  Cows, sheep, chickens, etc. have pathogens too, and we seem comfortable using their manure. If your dog is wormed and vaccinated, you are likely pretty OK. The thing about dog parasites getting into people is way way over-blown.  How many people do you know who've had this happen.  How many people have been kissed by a dog (kids especially, who are right at dog level).  Now how many people do you know who have had a human spread illness like influenza, colds, strep throat, etc (which are not dog related).  I just saw Dr. Oz telling someone they could get tapeworms from a dog sleeping with them.  Well, only if you lick their but!  You get tapeworms from segment of the tapeworm that come out their buts.  They are about the size of barley (not a microorganism at all).  And it's easy to tell if a dog has them.  And it's easy to treat.  He's an idiot.  

Seems like I've seen a commercial dog poo composter somewhere.  Oh and Ridex - pretty much a product without much use.  Ask the local people at a sewage treatment plant if they use it. The poop and the environment already have tons of microorganisms (which make their own enzymes) ready to decompose. Unless you sterilized the stuff first, you don't have to add anything. What you really need is that balance - so add nitrogen poor things to the mix like straw, hay, leaves.  These are called brown items.  Grind them as fine as possible to get the action to work the fastest (these will also have tons of naturally occuring microbes ready to decompose everything).  Worms help break things down, and mix things up, but they aren't really necessary to make compost. They would only be helpful at the very end, after the compost was made non pathogenic by the heat of composting (they could not survive this).

This tomato plant is growing up from the cracks between the patio slabs. The only real source of nutrients I can think of is dog poo.
With 2 medium sized dogs the small patio receives absolutely loads of it!!

So good luck with your experiment, I think it will be a success :-)

Cayennemist said:
Ok

A little update...

So if any of you try this make sure you make a hole for gas to escape. I almost made a poop bomb!!!

I heard a noise like a sicada, but we dont have many of thoses here in San Diego.
When I followed it back to the bucket.To my surprise the lid was raised in the middle and looked like a bomb about to go off. Mind you this is hevy duty plastic and doesnt flex easily.

So I very slowly unscrewd it to release the pressure, like one would do with a soda bottle. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

The good news is, 2 days in and its making enough pressure to do this. That means its working.

The product I went with is K-57 http://www.roebic.com/k57-septic-system-cleaner.shtml

MSDS
http://www.roebic.com/pdf/msds/K-57-MSDS.pdf
Just now saw this. Whatever happened here? I Got a basset that would give me a lifetime supply if this worked

twilliams386 said:
Just now saw this. Whatever happened here? I Got a basset that would give me a lifetime supply if this worked

Dont do it, just dont! It is a very slow stinky, disgusting process. The smell is not good, and the buckets need to burp or they will explode...

DONT DO IT... It was a good thought, with good intentions, but let sewage treatment plants deal with this shit.

The smell was probably the worst things I have EVER smelt.

It is possible to convert, just not with the time and resources that I feel like providing. This should give you an idea of what it would take
to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV9x79_WYbk

Dude on my planted tank forums used his rottweilers crap under his soil as a fertilizer with pretty crappy results. 

Nothing worse than stepping in dog crap. Speaking of which we took the puppies to Petsmart the other day to get their nails trimmed. I sat baxter down for like 20 seconds and he dropped a mega deuce in the middle of the main isle. I went looking for a clean up center and only got like 20 feet away before some chick slipped in it...... we promptly left. 

side note, for a low monthly fee of $20 you can have unlimited access to my bountiful backyard gold. 

Been a while since I read the thread and looks like the original author pulled all his content... I guess things got pretty shitty http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=154884

Cayennemist said:
Dont do it, just dont! It is a very slow stinky, disgusting process. The smell is not good, and the buckets need to burp or they will explode...

DONT DO IT... It was a good thought, with good intentions, but let sewage treatment plants deal with this shit.

The smell was probably the worst things I have EVER smelt.

It is possible to convert, just not with the time and resources that I feel like providing. This should give you an idea of what it would take
to work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV9x79_WYbk

Hahahahahaha well shit! At least you gave it a shot. And now i know i can just continue tossing this shit into my lovely neighbors lovely overgrown and cat infested yard.

Back