• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Poor communication = Too much pork

Look at how a smokenator works, and then leave out the smokenator itself and just setup a pile of briquets for indirect on one side of the lower rack, place the pork butt on the opposite side of the lower grate as the fire ... probably in one of those throw-away metal pans ...

Then you can cook the ribs up top ...

Jammin' ...

I would smoke it all.  Too bad it won't fit for one smoke session, so I would do ribs first and then do the butt if you can squeeze in another day of smoking.  The pulled pork is fine frozen then used as needed.   If you can only do one day of smoking….break your cherry on the ribs.

I'm already locked in on the boss' plan. One slab is already vacuumed sealed and in the chest freezer. Although I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have enough real estate to accomplish that. I ogled some smokers and grills when I was picking up some smoking necessities at Farm King a minute ago, and it turns out I have an 18", not a 20". 
     I know they'll be no where near enough room on the fire grate to carry out GM's plan. It's all gonna have to be crammed together on the top grate. So my first try at ribs might be "exhibit A" in my case for why I need to get a WSM. (The way things stand right now, my wife sees no reason to upgrade. Why mess with perfection? Because I'm a man. F*cking with things is what I do!)
     Anyhoo. I think I got this. First time for ribs and all. I'll have plenty of good Wisconsin beer on hand and probably a fifth of bourbon, too - for the sauce (and the souse!  ;) ) What could go wrong! It's barbecue!
     Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! Pics to come!

grantmichaels said:
Look at how a smokenator works, and then leave out the smokenator itself and just setup a pile of briquets for indirect on one side of the lower rack, place the pork butt on the opposite side of the lower grate as the fire ... probably in one of those throw-away metal pans ...

Then you can cook the ribs up top ...

Jammin' ...

I am really curious to try this someday, though. I bet some wings or sausage would be a great "smoking on the kettle grill fire grate" trial run.

Meat's on!

IMG_0327_zpsl9opqqhr.jpg

Back