• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Poor Man's Garden

Could'nt find anything about this, but cashola is tight right now and i need fertilizer and othr supllement that i can't afford are theyre any thing's i could use around the house or that are free for fertilizer? i was thinking on trying bannana peels. anything i guess till i get the funds any ideas would be cool.

Most household stuff needs to be composted before you add it to the garden. If you live near a farming area and know someone who raises animals, you could ask them for some aged poop. I get free goat poop for the 'price' of cleaning out the shelter. Another free source I use is composted leaves. If you're near a wooded area you might be able to find some of that.

Get a compost machine (like a time machine, just for making compost), or even better and cheaper red worms!

Used coffee grounds are good. Ask Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts.

Pulverized egg shells. I also pull up a chunk of the neighbors grass and dig out worms to throw in the garden. Then I replace the grass as best I can.

if your county has a drop off site for lawn clippings, leaves, small branches. theres a good chance they also have compost to sell really cheap or maybe even free.

I think doing your own compost would be the best idea, but its not fast by any means. Something that might require a little reading to make sure you are not doing more harm than good

You can probably get a whole lot (2 lbs) of Epsom Salt from your local dollar store.

My local Wal-Mart carries a large box of Tomato food and General purpose plant food for less than $4 which is really cheap.

This fall, sow wheat. It's cheap - about a buck for enough to cover 100 sq. ft. Let it grow over the winter and in the spring, cut it off at the ground, then till the roots in. You'll add a bunch of nitrogen to the ground, the roots will decompose giving you more fertilizer and the blades of foliage make great compost that doesn't take long to break down.

Mike

Back