• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Possible alternative to Promix BX

Here is a possible alternative for those having trouble finding Promix BX. After deciding to ditch the MG I went looking for the Promix but couldnt find a retailer in Milwaukee. I went to Brew and Grow and they have a custom blend from Sungro. It has the beneficial fungi added to it like the Promix. The percentage of ingredients differs though.

Promix is peat moss 82-1/2% perlite 12-1/2% vermiculite 5%. It also has calcitic limestone, dolomitic limestone, macronutrients, micronutrients, wetting agent, and myocorise which is the good fungi for the root systems.

My bail of sungro custom blend which is the sunshine mix #4 with the fungi added lists the peat moss at 60-70%, perlite, gypsum, dolomatic lime, wetting agent and mycorrhizea fungi.

Less percentages are listed with the Sungro than the Promix. I dont know if anybody has used this before and can comment on its quality, but if you cant get the Pormix it may be an alternative. My little guys had stoped growing,started drooping, and were getting yellowish in some spots and brown in others in the MG, I potted up into the Sungrow and added a weak mixture of General Hydroponics FloraDuo A and B, everybody is now green, standing up straight, and gowing again within 4 days. I dont know how much of that is the Sungro and how much is the ferts. At $40 a bail for either one $50 for shiping wasnt in the script.

Here is the link for both, thanks, Chad

Sungro

Promix

The sunshine mix is only OK in my opinion. I've found that it has a lot of sticks/twigs and other filler that hasn't been screened enough for my liking. If the price is right I'd probably buy it again and use only for larger plants but $40 is way more than I've ever paid for any bale. Try making your own mix with the same ingredients, it should end up cheaper

Hey Chad,I have also heard great things about the Sungro.I almost bought some earlier today but I chose to go with coco coir and perlite,just because it was cheaper.Be careful with using chemical ferts because I've heard that they will kill the mycorhizae.

Did you try this place. Says it's only 27 miles from Milwaukee. ProMix has this listed as one of their distributors.

Conserve Fs
4304 S. Beaumont Ave.
Kansasville WI 53139
Ph.: (262)878-2048

It's probably fine, but I'm pretty sure the magic in ProMix is in the fungi and other intangibles, not in the basic ingredients.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of peat, perlite, etc., and nothing else gets them seedlings moving like BX.

The sunshine mix is only OK in my opinion. I've found that it has a lot of sticks/twigs and other filler that hasn't been screened enough for my liking. If the price is right I'd probably buy it again and use only for larger plants but $40 is way more than I've ever paid for any bale. Try making your own mix with the same ingredients, it should end up cheaper

^^^Agree. Besides those mixes only have enough nutes to las 3-4 weeks. After that period you need the fertilize anyway. I would think buying vermiculite, perlite, and peat separate then adding some compost or vermicompost would be cheaper, and IMO better!! :cool:

Believe me it's worth the effort and expense!! I switched over to the BX and started bottom feeding the little fellas this year. I water them once a week and use PHC Seedling & Houseplants 6 – 12 – 6 Biofertilizer. I found that I'm way ahead of where I was last year at this time!!

I am blown away!!

They look so healthy with thick stems and dark green colors and just exploding!!

It's probably fine, but I'm pretty sure the magic in ProMix is in the fungi and other intangibles, not in the basic ingredients.

I've tried all sorts of combinations of peat, perlite, etc., and nothing else gets them seedlings moving like BX.
I used pro-mix for many, many years before they added the mycorrhizae and to be honest I can't say I've noticed any difference over the new pro-mix or my home-made mixes with similar ingredients. Peat on its own is not a great medium, but ammended properly it can be awesome. There are also many other great peat-based mixes out there besides pro-mix, although PM is really top quality with very little roughage/filler

I knew somebody would have had experience with this, I did have to fish out a few sticks but not that many. I am planing on adding a raised bed this year so maybe I will throw the sungro in there with my own mix, I think I will head down to Conserv like you suggested KCSO53 to get my ingredients and grab a bale of PM while I am there. I would feel more comfortable having my potted plants in the PM at least till I see how they do outside. Keeping my ferts weak for now, probably move to a fish kelp fert. Thanks for the info everyone!

Chad

Back