Possible mite problem?

About 5 days ago I sprayed all 3 of my pepper plants with dawn and water. I had a couple of leafs with small holes on them from those tiny green worms and I also found a couple of Aphids on the flower stems, so I decided to spray all the plants.

2 days later I noticed all the pepper plants started dropping most of its leaves. My Scorpion and Scotch Bonnet are pretty much bare now. My Caribbean Red so far only dropped about half of its leaves and has 7 peppers. I don't think the dawn and water mix would have caused this?

I have attached some pictures, one is the Caribbean Red plant and the other is the underneath of a leaf that just fell off today. I have been reading a bunch of posts here and it could be a mite problem, but I am still new to this and could be wrong.

pepperleaf.jpg

pepperleaf2.jpg

First blush, it looks like your plants have some kind of bacterial or viral infections, since a mite infestation causes new leaf growth to come out mangled, gnarled and deformed, but they generally avoid established leaves, especially ones of that size. As for a specific infection type, I'll defer to people more knowledgeable than I.

And as for the aphids and such, good call on spraying your plants :)

Anyone know what this is?

In the mean time should I use the hydrogen peroxide mix to stop them from getting worse?

I'm suspecting that the couple of mites and aphids were just coincidental, that it was either too strong a soap solution that harmed the leaves or it's just a general bacterial infection due to the humidity or rain.

I would remove any leaves affected as bad as the one you pictured then carefully monitor the rest, removing any that become worse.  If you can provide more ventilation that may help (even more wind if nothing else, but you may need to stake them if exposed to too much wind) as well as keeping them away from rain.

The bad news is you will probably lose any leaves that look like that, but if conditions improve then one day new ones will likely grow.  Yes you can spray the peroxide mix but it isn't likely to save leaves that far gone and is not guaranteed to stop the problem from spreading with any leaves that touch each other, or from further rain or watering dripping from one leaf to the next.  Once the leaf surface is damaged like that, bacteria can easily take hold again.

Some others with more expertise on the matter may chime in on specialized teas and other mixes that help protect leaves against bacteria.

Update: First picture is what my Scorpion plant now looks like.

The other 2 pictures are close ups of what my Caribbean Red stem looks like. Anyone know what those Dark Brown spots/marks are?

scorpion.jpg

stem.jpg

stem2.jpg

I used Dawn on my plants for aphids early in the year and my plants dropped most of the leaves and they are doing fine now. I am no expert but I think in my case I used to strong of solution. My plants dropped all the bottom leaves and kept only the top ones.

Back