• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Possible to grow smaller peppers indoors, containers?

I dont really have the outdoor space to grow plants outside. And it would be a bit easier if I could grow them indoors in containers. Id like to get a nice mild-medium smaller pepper plant. What recommendations are out there? Can these be grown in the window possibly??

In Denmark we always have a few plants in the window.
Choose a variety that is not too large, could be White Habanero
The pot should not be too large, 3-5 L.

My White Habanero gave my hundreds of fruits last year.

where in the USA are you located?

I live in MD. I was thinking about something small like say around 1-1.5" long? I seen some nice small plants at the pepper lover's website.

so you are wanting a small pepper plant with smallish pods that are fairly mild...try a Mariachi Hybrid

like willard said the smaller pot you go with, you will have to prune the roots and the plant as all pepper plants i have grown will end up getting root bound in smaller pots eventually, then you will end up with poor production. pruning the roots gets you in touch with your plants on another level as you get to see what happens below the plant and in all reality thats where the magic begins!

yup Vietnam/Thai are about 20,000 Scoville and that is a little hotter than Jalapeno's---I think they are a little bit hotter then a cayanne but I never raised them.

I can send you some seeds if you want---send me an address---just let me know how the pack arrives. I make my own foam packs and it is listed in the misc at the bottom of THP

PM if you want some.
Balac

Serrano...that's the ticket....and a very tasty and useful pepper too at about 5X a Jalapeno...

Cayenne is a good choice too...Charleston Hot is a good choice for size of plant...

Like has been said, the smaller the container, the smaller the plant...

rootball size controls the size of the plant...

This is a 9-yr old purira which is a normal sized chile. It has been root and top pruned.

purira8.jpg

I have been keeping a thai variety, prik kee noo, in my window for over a year in a 1 gallon pot. It has never gotten more than 1 ft tall but it is always loaded with pods. I highly recommend it.

This plant was cloned from a plant growing in dirt. I frequently transplant from hydro to dirt. I try not to go from dirt to hydro because the plant has to be very cleaned up not to transfer dirt pathogens to hydro; it can be done, it's just a pain in the butt.

Back