• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Possible to save my habanero plant?

I had a raised garden bed filled this spring with 60% dirt (probably clay heavy), 20% leaf mulch, and 20% sand by a local company.  I had a bit too much dirt so I saved some in 10 gal planters.  I had some Habanero plants growing indoors since November that I've recently moved outdoors into these pots.  Most are doing okay, but one of the pots was holding an inch of rain water for a couple days.  Now it looks like every leaf has withered badly.

Can this plant be saved?  Do I need to transplant or possibly mix new soil to make these planters work?  Any advice would be appreciated.

20140606_191918.jpg

An inch of rainwater for a couple of days would not do this I dont think - what you're seeing in my opinion would be transplant shock and/or exposure to UV. You didn't 'harden off'?

They have been hardened off and had all been doing quite well for about a week.  Then several days ago, this one started to go down hill in a hurry when we started getting a lot of rain.  This one may have been moved out of 60% shade into 40% shade several days ago, but I haven't been expecting it to have trouble with that transition.

Curious then. Usually too much water takes a good while to kill a plant to this stage, and you'd see yellow leaves, oedema, before this - unless there was a pre-existing condition that the rain exacerbated. No full sun either, so I'm stumped, but perhaps someone else can offer an explanation...

What I would do is move it well away from the others - quarantine it.

As long as you have green stems/branches it can recover. I would suggest removing the saucer you have underneath it and changing to a pot with more drainholes. I agree - quarantine it in case there is something else going on - a soil fungus can cause that, and soil funguses usually occur because it's been too wet for too long. Just in case,  use 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water and water with that the next several waterings. 

could that be root knot nematode ? or broad mites, or possibly a fungus growing in the dirt from to much moisture? just wondering, it looks  pretty bad

Back