grills Post pics of your smoker or grill

Finally got some cooking pics! Smoked a turkey breast for 7 hours. I found that there was a good bit of ash accumulation under the firebox, so I made a 14" x 14" heavy grate to sit it on and raise it up a couple of inches.

26464403335_fc57a83a6a_b.jpg

Worked "grate"! Ha!

Brined the turkey breast in crab boil seasoning overnight, then shot it up with creole butter injectable marinade, and got it smoking at around 11:00 this morning.

26190939770_95267e55dc_b.jpg

7 hours low and slow

25866943823_bf8534be16_b.jpg

you can actually build a small pizza oven for around 6 grand.   not the turtle shelled ones(too hard), but the simpler tunnel shapped ones.  then you get a mason to come over and stucco that hooker, or put some sort of stone cladding on it.

small pizza oven would get my vote personally.

derp

Here is a couple of mine. I know they are not top of the line but I do compete twice a year and get a call or two while others go home with nothing with cookers that are thousands of dollars. I have maybe 6 hours between the two and a grand total of $250 tied up in the 2 smokers. I am 100% satisfied.

I didn't include my Kettle. they are pretty standard. We have all saw one.

whats up with the pipes elbowing up from the bottom? intakes?

is that just so u dont have to crouch down all the time?

i like the handles and your stainless sign btw. real nice touchs.

Well, over at another site we had a guy calling them pipes the fat man mod and it caused major problems.

And yeah most of it is so people don't have to bend over. In my case I did not want to use them because it restricts air flow REALLY bad not to mention the added cost involved. I did it because I have 3 blown discs in my back and I need a spinal fusion done so bending over is not an option. I have a hand truck to move my smokers around but my wife wont even allow that so she has my boys move them for me. If not for that, I would QUICKLY remove the risers.

On the 2nd drum, the stainless is a kit I ordered from big poppa smokers. Free shipping was included. Worked for me! :-)

DjPorkchop said:
Well, over at another site we had a guy calling them pipes the fat man mod and it caused major problems.

And yeah most of it is so people don't have to bend over. In my case I did not want to use them because it restricts air flow REALLY bad not to mention the added cost involved. I did it because I have 3 blown discs in my back and I need a spinal fusion done so bending over is not an option. I have a hand truck to move my smokers around but my wife wont even allow that so she has my boys move them for me. If not for that, I would QUICKLY remove the risers.

On the 2nd drum, the stainless is a kit I ordered from big poppa smokers. Free shipping was included. Worked for me! :-)
im not a thermodynamics expert, but i imagine the restriction is from the heat gradient across the pipe that is directly connected to the drum.

what im thinking is that the downward draft is inhibited by slightly heated air trying to rise out sort of countering the down draft with a little up draft.

how how does it get at the elbow on the bottom?

have you considered replacing that assembly with somethign like a butterfly valve and riser stem? i work on alot of water distribution systems and riser stems are almost always used as a means to access valves burried sometimes 10+ feet deep. basically just connect the valve to a handle farther up with a box steel shaft.

like this:

Butterfly-Valve-with-Extension-Spindle.jpg

its probably too expensive... but maby u can hack somethign together from similar materials... galvanized pipe etc.

I actually do have a plan to build my own butterfly type of system as you have pictured except still using ball valves. I'm stepping up to 1" instead of 3/4".

Most my restriction flow is the valves. I fudged up and used 3/4" valves but they were not full gate. Going with the risers, at bare minimum I should have used 1" pipes. A guy did the math for me over at another BBQ forum i belong to and my air flow is REAL bad in that smoker. BUT, I have had to learn how to use it as is and can easily get the job done. it just likes to cruise a little warmer than my other Drum. This one prefers to run in the 280- 325 range.

My other smoker I pictured has 8 3/4" exhaust in daisy wheel fashion with 8 3/4" intakes covered and adjust able with stainless sliders.

If I can get my all but crippled self out side tonight or tomorrow, Ill grab some more pics and post them of both setups and what I found works and what don't.

Here is a couple more shots I said i would get.

Here is the top of the one I call Old Leaky . Notice it has a 2" bung that I normally use and if needs be I can open the elbowed vents as well. The elbow ones were put in for rain purposes. The kind of restrict air flow as well and I don't recommend them.

Here is the Lid on my Big Poppa Smoker Drum kit. Notice it has a Daisy Wheel exhaust. Lousy for rain, but works wonders for draft purposes.

I like the daisy wheel much better than the 2 inch bung or the elbow rain guard exhausts.

Now here is the intake on one side of my Big Poppa Drum. Only 3  3/4" holes are shown but there are 4. I just didn't slide the slider open far enough. There is two of these on this drum for a total of 8 3/4" intake holes. If I do not go with my own butterfly system on Old Leaky, I am going to order 2 of these intakes and install them on old leaky like my big poppa drum.

This intake system actually works pretty well for my bad back. I don;t have ot bend over to adjust, I can do it with the tow of my shoe. This intake system is great! I can set my drum up and get it to 250 and walk off and leave it for 12 + hours and come back and it will be spot on heat wise.

Now old leaky, the term leaky gives it away. I do have to adjust the air on it from time to time.

The Hot Pepper said:
I love the Stubb's myself, caught a good sale and got a bunch for $5.99. :)

I got a bunch on sale at Lowe's at the same price - I think I picked up 20 bags.

Overall, I really like it, though it does make a lot of smoke when it's firing up.

Yeah and it has a nice wood taste to boot.

Back