• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pot size for annums, and baccatums?

So, I'm potting up a few plants that won't be going into my raised bed. I've picked a nice example of each variety I'm growing to go in each pot, so that I can overwinter one of each. I'm putting all my chinenses in 5-7 gallon pots, but I've got one Goat's weed that I'd like to pot up too, and I'm all out of big pots. I seem to remember someone saying their annums did just fine in 1 gallon pots, but this seems a bit small to me, especially since Goat's Weed gets so large. I do have one that's probably around 3 gallons, and was wondering if this would be large enough.

Though it seems with chinenses the verdict is the bigger the better, what pot sizes do you reccomend for different species?

The smallest container I'd put that Goat's weed in would be a 3 gallons. If you want a large jalapeno plant with tons of pods 1 gallon will not be enough. Most large black nursery pots are 4 gallon and they seem to be just right for chinense, and the smaller ones which are about 3 gallons best for annuums.

I think it would really depend on when you started your plants, and how big they are, but I'd probably just plant into the 3 gal and then pot up again if/when needed

OH SHI...
Looks like my 5 litre pots for chinenses are a bit silly?
So I'll have to plant them directly to dirt in my garden else they won't do...
Btw, russian flower-growing girls think that peppers are annual and they can do well in 1 litre pots. So I'm not the silliest chile grower in Russia :D

Potawie and PRF, thanks for the input. I just potted my Goat's weed up last night into a taller, slightly larger container than the 3 inch pot it was in, so once it starts to fill that in, 3 gallon will be the next step, and larger if needed.

cheers

I had a couple of Chocolate Hab plants last year, one in a 3 gal and one in a 5 gal. The 5 gallon plant definitely got bigger and made more pods. About 50% more. Size matters on some of these plants.

Back