• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pot Size

Hi All

I've been reading about but have found no definitive answers.

I do have access to the ground both in and outside a greenhouse but as conditions in the UK are highly variable at best I thought large pots would be my best bet so I can move the plants to protect them. This seemed like a good idea at first as I figured I'd have around a dozen plants. After my seed buying frenzy and quite good success with germination I now have well over 50 seedlings. It's unlikely all of these will be making it to maturity (whether they die naturally or by selection) but I've been pricing up the pots.

I was thinking around 10 litre's would be plenty (around 2 gal I think) but have since seen a few remarks regarding 25 litre (5 gallon pots). I have tried to find these cheaply but they seem crazy expensive for any sort of volume purchase. I'm trying to work out what the best compromise would be but could use some advise. My options are either to put a load in the ground and wish them look with a select half dozen getting nice big pots and special treatment. Or to try and get as many reasonable priced pots as I can and give them lots of TLC. If I opt for the second what sort of size should I be looking for and what are the consequences of going under 25 litres (5 gallons)?

Thanks

The Howster

I don't know what's available there in the UK. Here I get used plastic pots from nurseries and also if you know someone with a restaurant they get the 5 gal. buckets all the time for oil and other liquid condiments. Those usually get tossed out in the trash. I paid $0.50 each for used #5 pots from the local nursery.

I use both 5 and 3.5 gallon. I get most of the buckets free around here,at restaurants/food establishments that receive them filled with ingredients like pickles,pizza sauce,cheese,sliced or diced fresh veggies,etc. and toss them out afterwards.
I have experiences very good yields(pod count) from both sizes, but I did see smaller pods on those varieties which have large pods.
So I plant small pod pepper and/or bush size plants in the 3.5 gal size(ie.,bird peppers,jalapeños,cayenne)and larger ones in the 5 gallon(Pablano, banana,Anaheim)
But that just my approach...there are many other THP folks that have much more experience than I do.
CM

What these 2 have said pretty much sums it all up. See if some of your local restaurants and pubs have any 25 litre buckets they throw away. If you try enough, you are bound to find some.
As far as pot size goes....in general, size DOES matter, despite what my wife says! Lol In general, the bigger the pot, the bigger the plant. I use 25 litre buckets, and last year I had a few plants get to 2 meters. But, use what ya can!

In my opinion bigger pots are only better if the plants need the extra space. Its not like a plant will just grow bigger because it has lots of space. Planting in too big of a pot can lead to overwatering issues, and lack of oxygen in the root system(ideal for root rot and other fungal issues) since it takes so much longer to dry out and get replenished. Chile plants love to go through a wet to dry cycle and having the ideal size pot can really make a difference. My final pot size is anywhere between 3 gallons and 25 gallons depending on when the plants were started, what species and variety, and how hardy the particular plant is.

I don't use anything under 5 gal and prefer 7 gal or larger myself. I like the idea that the roots have more room to grow. I've seen some decent sized plants in pretty small containers around here but I've always wondered how big the plant would have grown if it had more room for the roots.

I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go asking for the 5 gal buckets but I may be able to ask around at my old supermarket job and see if they can get me any.

I have 6 x 11 litre (2-2.5 gal) square pots which I'll use for a select bunch of plants which I'll try and overwinter come the end of summer. The rest can go in the ground in the greenhouse and along a south facing wall next to my garage as I'm now told its mine to use. Hopefully I'll find a home for most of the peppers. I think they will be clustered quite close together.

Define clustered close together? LOL Last year I build 12x2' boxes along my back fence and each box was divided in half. I planted 5 pepper plants per divided section and it worked quite well, my Trinidad Scorpion plants got to about 4' tall. I also had about 50 3 gallon pots I obtained from a friend that owns a nursery and those plants didnt grow nearly as tall, maybe 2 1/2' tops, so yes, the more root area the plant has, the bigger it will grow, but dont forget what Potawie mentioned about drainage/air/fungus' as well.

all my plants are clustered together. and they're loving it. protects them from full sun of my tropical climate. no problems with it, so far. but then i grow in the ground. =D

I have to agree with the coments that the bigger the better. If the pot is exposed to full sun and wind then it can heat up and dry out quickly. This has killed most of my plants this season. The ones I clustered together did much better. It reminds me of a documentary where the emperor penguins all shuffle together in a big mass for months of darkness in the antarcticic winter. You don't want to be the one stuck on the outside :P

At a store of the massive monopolising hardware chain in Australia there was a sign on a big bin for people to bring in and recycle their plastic pots. So I went and recycled some big pots for myself. :rofl:

2.5 gallon will limit the growth potential of your plants, ideally the 5 gallon pots would be the bare minimum I'd use as a final container. I normally use 5,7 and 10 gallon containers for growing, the 5 gallon work well but it doesn't take long for them to become root bound in them, then leaves start yellowing / dropping, growth slows down etc.

I always check out local building sites as they usally have drainage pipe off cuts lying about in skips and also large 25kg plaster buckets. I have used some 400mm diameter pipe in the past.
Maybe worth a scrounge

Daz

Not to run with the herd, but I concur with the 5 and 7 gallon comment. Those are the two perfect sizes for pepper growing, in my experience. 5 gallon for smaller Jalapeno-type plants, 7 gallon for larger aji's, bells, etc. Anything smaller than 5 gallon is gonna cost ya in pod size and production. Peppers want that foot of depth and foot across to grow their roots. Give them 10 inches across or 9 inches deep or whatever, and you'll pay a price.

Hi, I agree about the English weather! You have to be prepared.
I was looking at the 40 Litre flexitubs you see builders use, because they are easy to move with the handles.
The best price I found so far is £3.99 from www.householdandgardenplastics.co.uk
They also do a 20 Litre one for £2.99. And they come in different colours!
If anyone has a better price/idea can you please post it.

Define clustered close together? LOL Last year I build 12x2' boxes along my back fence and each box was divided in half. I planted 5 pepper plants per divided section and it worked quite well, my Trinidad Scorpion plants got to about 4' tall. I also had about 50 3 gallon pots I obtained from a friend that owns a nursery and those plants didnt grow nearly as tall, maybe 2 1/2' tops, so yes, the more root area the plant has, the bigger it will grow, but dont forget what Potawie mentioned about drainage/air/fungus' as well.
Probably be 1 foot between each plant or thereabouts.

all my plants are clustered together. and they're loving it. protects them from full sun of my tropical climate. no problems with it, so far. but then i grow in the ground. =D
With any look I'll have some of the Hippy Seed Company Clumping Success.

I have to agree with the coments that the bigger the better. If the pot is exposed to full sun and wind then it can heat up and dry out quickly. This has killed most of my plants this season. The ones I clustered together did much better. It reminds me of a documentary where the emperor penguins all shuffle together in a big mass for months of darkness in the antarcticic winter. You don't want to be the one stuck on the outside :P

At a store of the massive monopolising hardware chain in Australia there was a sign on a big bin for people to bring in and recycle their plastic pots. So I went and recycled some big pots for myself. :rofl:
No Freo Doctor here. If my plans of coming to WA and starting up as a junior Geo come to fruition I'll get to grow them in your fantastic climate!

2.5 gallon will limit the growth potential of your plants, ideally the 5 gallon pots would be the bare minimum I'd use as a final container. I normally use 5,7 and 10 gallon containers for growing, the 5 gallon work well but it doesn't take long for them to become root bound in them, then leaves start yellowing / dropping, growth slows down etc.
Not to run with the herd, but I concur with the 5 and 7 gallon comment. Those are the two perfect sizes for pepper growing, in my experience. 5 gallon for smaller Jalapeno-type plants, 7 gallon for larger aji's, bells, etc. Anything smaller than 5 gallon is gonna cost ya in pod size and production. Peppers want that foot of depth and foot across to grow their roots. Give them 10 inches across or 9 inches deep or whatever, and you'll pay a price.
Will it really have such a severe effect on the plant. After seeing "Bonchi" I assumed with a 2.5 gallon pot I'd just end up with a smaller plant with a lower yield but still lots of good sized tasty chillies. If you had to put the following chillies in order of which benefit the most from lots of root room:

Bhut Jolokia
Bih Jolokia
Naga Morich
7 Pot Jonah
Trinidad Scorpion Marouga Red
Trinidad Scorpion
Habanero Devils Tongue
Orange Habanero
Red Scotch Bonnet
Indian PC-1

I always check out local building sites as they usally have drainage pipe off cuts lying about in skips and also large 25kg plaster buckets. I have used some 400mm diameter pipe in the past.
Maybe worth a scrounge

Daz
Hi, I agree about the English weather! You have to be prepared.
I was looking at the 40 Litre flexitubs you see builders use, because they are easy to move with the handles.
The best price I found so far is £3.99 from www.householdandgardenplastics.co.uk
They also do a 20 Litre one for £2.99. And they come in different colours!
If anyone has a better price/idea can you please post it.
Now then fellow Brits. I have quite a few friends that work as electricians etc so I'll see if they can source me anything. This doesn't get round the other problem I have with big pots, FILLING THEM. I don't intend to dig a pond which means I have to buy the soil/compost and while a 50l bag of good quality compost can be had for £5-£10 that will only fill two 5 gallon pots so again heading into big money.

My main problem is I'm going to have a lot more plants than I thought I would so I guess I'll just stick more in the ground.

Will it really have such a severe effect on the plant. After seeing "Bonchi" I assumed with a 2.5 gallon pot I'd just end up with a smaller plant with a lower yield but still lots of good sized tasty chillies

I've heard (for example, on this board) of people growing in as small as 1-gallon containers, but my experience doesn't square with that. For me, a 10" pot will produce "something" but not a lot - a small plant, with a small number of small pods. A 12" pot (aka 5 gallon) seems to be what the plants want, in order to reach their potential. A few, like Aji Amarillo, the larger Italian horn style, etc., are larger plants and seem to like a larger, e.g. 7 gallon, pot. Habaneros, jalapenos, etc., all grow great for me in 12" pots. Try it out in a few different sizes and see what works for you, but my recommendation is to ensure you have at least some of your plants in 5+ gallon pots to avoid disappointment.

This doesn't get round the other problem I have with big pots, FILLING THEM. I don't intend to dig a pond which means I have to buy the soil/compost and while a 50l bag of good quality compost can be had for £5-£10 that will only fill two 5 gallon pots so again heading into big money.

My main problem is I'm going to have a lot more plants than I thought I would so I guess I'll just stick more in the ground.

Both Aldi and Lidl have good quality compost for sale at £1.99 for 40 Litres. :)

Its never too late to start your own compost heap though! I use one of those bulk bags you get sand delivered in, I also break up used compost from the previous year and mix a slow release fertiliser with it and use it again!!

All of those listed would benefit from at least a 5 gallon and would do really well in a 7. The 2.5 gallon just really limits the overall size of the plants and yields are also greatly reduced, non scientific here but it seams like a 50% reduction. I've grown in containers for years and the 5 gallon really are the bare minimum for a final pot up.

I might be getting sorted out with some large buckets (not sure if they are quite 5 gallon).
Will also head to aldi and check out there cheap compost. I do have access to a load of 5 year old home made "pedigree" compost produced by my dad but I wouldnt want to use it all for chillis.
I'm assuming if i grow in the ground even reltively close together (1'-1.5') then i don't have to worry about room for the roots and the plants will reach their full potential?

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I use 13 litre builders buckets £1.00 each from B&Q and get very good results.
020.jpg

Six foot high Naga Viper in builders bucket.
0042-10.jpg

some of this seasons plants in builders buckets.(before you comment plants are only this close together while they are small)

Back