• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pot size

I have a bit before I pot up, like a while haha. But I was wondering is there such thing as to big of a pot?

Technically no, since many plants (and I'm sure peppers are included) will grow into whatever pot you put it in. I've got mine in 6" pots right now. Granted, it's a bit on the low end of what a pepper plant should be, but I had little choice due to the limited space in my apartment. Most people swear by pots that will fit 1 gallon. As was recommended to me, and recommended to others, make sure not to overwater or overfertilize the plant. Just use the recommendation on the fertilizer's bag, and for water, the rule of thumb I use is that on average, the soil should be roughly as wet as a damp sponge a few hours after using it.

If you are looking for the largest pot size that you could/should use for a pepper plant, for a pepper plant to reach its full size, you need about an 8 gallon pot.

They can be kept in smaller spaces at the cost of yield and plant size. But smaller pots will work.

Elcap do you have to prune the roots at all?

Hahha well I'm hoping at least 5 of my plants thrive! Gonna go with 4 inch, can get 100 for 20$ then go from there. That's a long time of growth! Ty all

If you are looking for the largest pot size that you could/should use for a pepper plant, for a pepper plant to reach its full size, you need about an 8 gallon pot.

They can be kept in smaller spaces at the cost of yield and plant size. But smaller pots will work.

Elcap do you have to prune the roots at all?

Not yet. I've only just transplanted the first batch of peppers into 6" pots.

Back