• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pot Sizes?

Last year was my first year growing peppers. We just started off with 12 orange habanero plants and 2 jalapeno. We brought them in for the winter and 9 of the Habanero plants and both Jalapeno Plants really thrived. Does anyone have any tips for pot sizes for the Habanero's. We have them on a deck so they have to be potted. I decided to bring them in because of this guy I was talking to who has been bringing the same Jalapeno Plant in for 8 years...it's like over 5 feet tall...

5 gallon should be big enough and easy enough to move around, any bigger will become a PITA to carry around.
Having said that though if you want a BIG plant put it in a BIG pot!

kiddc said:
wow, an 8 year old Jalapeno plant.

I have my hybrid Jalabanero at 5 yrs... it's sad looking right now but at the end of last year it was soooo beautiful bursting with hundreds of peppers

Web_Of_Hair said:
I have my hybrid Jalabanero at 5 yrs... it's sad looking right now but at the end of last year it was soooo beautiful bursting with hundreds of peppers

How does it taste,look? the size of a jalapeno with the bite of a habanero?
You got pics of that beauty?

I don't remember if others asked you last season, but have you grown out any seeds from that plant? What have they turned out like?

Josh said:
I don't remember if others asked you last season, but have you grown out any seeds from that plant? What have they turned out like?

Yes and I have sent many seeds too over the years. Most lose some or most of the chinese flavor but retain the shape and heat. I did have one plant last year though that was very close to the parent.

Can any Aussies clarify just how big a 5 gallon pot really is, in metric? Eg 30cm/40cm/50cm??!??

This has confused me greatly for a long time :( . As a rough estimate i would think a 35cm deep/30cm diameter pot would be about the right size?

Pots are so goddamn expensive in Australia. If i could get 5gallon pots in bulk for 1-2$ like you USAians i would be over the damn moon. It's a real pain in the behind!

At the moment i'm using 70cent buckets as pots. They are about 2.5 gallons i would say? 30cm x 20cm diameter. My plants are all first years and have yet to become root bound, however they are all fairly small.

You can usually find them in hardware stores, paint stores, restaurants that serve pickles or sour cream....Here is a picture of a typical 5 gallon bucket
2277psku.jpg

5 Gallon Nursery Pots: Diameter 30.48 cm, Height 27.94. (approximately)
I don't feel like looking up the dimensions of a 5 gallon bucket but they are larger.

5 gallon bucket dimensions are typically 30.3 cm dia. x 36.8 cm high x 26.2 cm dia at base. I like the 5 gallon buckets because they are much much more sturdy and I managed to find them for about $1 per bucket. If you use them be sure to drill holes in the bottom. They have worked great for me.

Back