• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. There's plenty of places to discuss these topics elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Potential Brisbane Chilli Festival 2010/11

Would put this in the Events area, but it's not an event, just a proposal.
This will take a while, so bear with me....

Ok, my idea was a Chilli festival for Brisbane, somewhere centrally located that already has the facilities to host the event. Somewhere that had good access to public transport etc etc.

My suggestion is Oxford St. Bulimba and for these reasons;

- Perfect leafy location, riverside, and with train, bus and ferry transport.
- The precinct has a massive amount of cafes, bars and restaurants.
- The precinct is packed for many nights of the week, and congestion is rarely a problem; it can cope with a crowd!
- There is a large parklands located centrally and vendors would be able to set up stalls etc.
- Pound for pound, the best pizza joint......in the world. ;)

I have broached the idea with the local councillor, Shayne Sutton, and she's interested in getting it off the ground. She's a progressive politician (yeah, I know...) that has been involved with previous festivals in the area, and would be a massive asset obviously. She's big on 'community' and has offered to meet to give a broad background, and information on whether this event is actually viable.
Obviously there'd be a lot of work ahead.

I'm hoping to meet her in 3-4 weeks, once I can ascertain the level of interest from hotheads and businesses in the SEQ region. Or outside of! It's not an insular thing...more the merrier.

My (very rough) objectives are;
- A family friendly event that celebrates chilli.
- Vendors get to sell and showcase their product.
- Local businesses also get into the spirit and support the event, offering meals from their cafes etc.
- Most of all, get to meet fellow hotheads, learn, share swap etc etc. And if people benefit financially as well, well that can only be a good thing.

My work situation should ease in around a months time, and I will be able to dedicate a lot of time to this. Having said that, I'd love for someone with some organisational ability to come on board!! I have none.
Also, heaps of volunteers would be needed (you'd probably be recompensed in a variety of ways anyway!!), and just grass-roots support.

I will be able to enlist the support of a couple of the restaurants at this stage, and I will be able to secure free radio advertising on 4ZZZ. With Cr. Suttons support too, we have a foundation at least.

Any ideas, offers of help, expressions of interest, advice etc is welcomed. And encouraged!!!!

Oh, there's a couple of us happy to offer accomodation if needed, and probably a few ales at some of the local establishments for a chat. There's lots of smaller details/ideas that I wont scour your eyeballs with at this stage!

What are your thoughts?

Get that ball rollin toon!! Sounds awesome, My only problem is the 18 hour drive to get there, or the cost of flights... But it's a "thunder birds are go!" for me.

Cheers Jas,
Ideally, all going well... I'd love for it to be next Autumn when the weather starts to cool a little, so you'd pick up dirt-cheap flights. I assume this would take around 12mths to get going at least...... Ideally April when the storm season has passed.

i dont know how many members are from SEQ.. but I must add if it was in sydney I'd be attending / helping out for sure! I think its a great idea and wish there were more of these types of event closer to home :)

Back