• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potting up large plants during fruiting - Should I just wait?

Transplant them or leave them?

• Transplant them!

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Leave them the hell alone!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
So I have a bunch of plants in 5 gallon buckets that are all quite large & setting fruit but I've got it in my thick head that I want to move a couple of them to 25 gallon or so pots. In the past I've always done all my transplanting early in the season & just let them be. I know typically whenever I transplant things they stall for a week or 2 til they get acclimated, will this cause them to drop fruit or anything?

Should I just leave them in the 5 gallon pots til next season or should I go ahead and stick em in something huge?

I would say the sooner the better if you are gonna do it. You have a long season down there, transplant them now, if you lose a few pods no big deal. Leave them alone, save a few early pods, miss out on the plants full potential later in the year.

I have transplanted lots of plants that were already podded up, its uncommon to lose a pod because of transplant, unless you are beating the crap out of the plant.

What Noah said. I do it all the time with no ill effects. Well not really all the time. I should do it all the time  :rofl:

You guys are all enablers! I'm off to the hydro shop for another bale of promix & some giant smart pots. 

Thanks for the advice.

No problem. Just work the pot away from the plant, try not to yank the plant from the pot by the stem. Torn roots can shock the plant. I loosen the bottom of the rootball before setting it into the new pot. That will encourage the root zone to expand, especially if it's bound and compacted.

Alright, back from the hydro store they only had 15 gallon, 20 gallon & 30 gallon pots so I ended up with 2 15 gallon smart pots, 1 20 gallon smart pot, a bale of promix and a bag of compost. 

Now I have to decide which 3 plants get which pot...

20 gallon = Yellow fatalii (currently in 7 gallon smart pot)
15 gallon = Lemon drop (currently in 5 gallon pot)
15 gallon = Sweet Datil or Trinidad Seasoning. (both currently in 5 gallon pots)

So if you had to choose between sweet datils or trinidad perfumes which one would you go with? I haven't gotten to taste either of these ripe yet but both are just LOADED with green pods & growing huge...So which one tastes better?

I had thought about potting up my Moruga but I have one of those in the ground too & while superhots are cool I'm leaning more towards something I can eat a bunch of...I think I'll wait & pot up the Moruga next season.

And done:

Yellow Fatalli in 20 gallon pot
8gzqkZH.jpg

Trinidad Seasoning & Aji Lemon Drop in 15 gallon pots
pZLQT5w.jpg

Do it up! I just got 10 fifteen gallon root pouches which will soon be home for some transplants. I have been n transplanting all season with no issues.

Back