• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Potting up to late for peppers this season?

I potted up a few seedlings from solo cups to 8" planters today. The ones that are marked are Jal(either early or giant, I think giant so go with that) and yellow fatalii. I'm in the florida panhandle which seems to be zone 8b. Will I have enough time this season to see any peppers? They were not root bound(not bad anyway) but roots were showing on all sides and the bottom. Just curious if there's a chance or will I just be overwintering these plants so I have some nice big plants ready to go out in early spring. Roughly how early in spring can they go out here. I'm thinking mid-late march does this sound right?

If you give them enough light, they might still flower and pod up before it gets too cold, given where you're at. You can then just bring them inside to finish ripening - just be sure to keep them in a sunny window or provide extra artificial light.

So, if you bring them in with unripe pods when it gets cold they will still ripen without artificial light? I also have seedlings that I am about to transplant and was wondering also.

^^ If the plant is kept warm enough then any full sized pods will ripen and some of the undersized ones will, BUT you're bound to have a lot of undersized ones that rot before they get a chance to ripen so for best results give it all the light you can - at least next to a (preferibly south or east facing) window or glass door. So long as it gets enough light and warmth to not drop the leaves, you're going to get more pods to reach maturity.

Back