• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Pow(d)er to the people!

So I made my first chile powder last night.  Damn! Now I know what the hype is about.

Took some Goat's Weed, Puya and Aji de la Tierra and blitz them.

Made some hoisin sauce and added the chile powder. 

Man it was so good that I added it to the brussel sprouts as well - chop some good fatty bacon in half inch pieces, render in a large pan, add lotsa garlic, some smoked paprika and own chile powder, add a bit of olive oil and some mustard powder and then brussel sprouts and put a lid on pan.  After 7 minutes it is ready!  Super-charged brussel sprouts (cos of mustard powder - accentuates their flavour) in chorizo!

Served with roast loin of pork.  Double pork.  Double chile.  Man it was soooooooooooo good.  And no there aint any pics cos I was pssssssssed on Scotch!

Puya or proper spelling Pulla is a smaller version of the Guajillo.  They dry well - although they take long (I just leave them on the bush to dry by themselves) and they very deep red.  Nice flavour - raisiny/chocolate/tobacco.  Mild heat.  Together with the aji it makes a nice fruity powder with a good depth of flavour.  The Goat's Weed was added to bump up the heat without changing the flavour profile.

I don't know if this belongs here (I couldn't find a cool kitchen accessories thread. If there is one, can someone point me in that direction) 

I just wanted to share this cool "pepper dirt"  travel container the Wife bought me...

Spice Missile

2 compartments in each chamber... Left or Bottom chamber has (Red Ghost/Yellow Ghost), Middle chamber has (Yellow 7 Pot/Barrel House BBQ Spice), Right or Top chamber has (Chocolate Hab/Trinidad Congo)

previously I had a 1/2 oz glass bottle for each of these that would be rattling around in the glove box all the time, now I'll just refill these as needed (there is an extra divider top that makes it easier to refill these compartments)

Back