• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Powdery Mildew?

I did a little research and some of the image results I came back with are suggesting I have powdery mildrew starting up. I find this a little strange as the weather here has been very arid and we just got done with a massive sandstorm. We had about 1000 ft visibility during some parts of the storm. Aside from a slight drop in temperatures and a few puffy grey clouds passing by, which have been the first I've seen in maybe 5 or 6 months, it's pretty much hot and dry over here. Any thoughts as to what is causing this light yellow spotted discoloration?

The leaves are pretty dusty because the sandstorm. So, one or two of the spots are just from water droplets drying up on the dust covered leaf.

2z4x0d2.jpg

2cwjyo6.jpg

xm33x1.jpg

sys6j8.jpg

looks like dust to me. Lick it to confirm 100%, if it tastes like dirt then that confirms my conclusion, if it tastes like something else (I've never actually tasted powdery mildew) then it's probably Powdery Mildew.

If you take a video of the above steps I'm sure we will be able to confirm with 100% accuracy. 

Good Luck!

Don't rule out powdery mildew on account of hot, dry weather. My peas and squash always get it late in life, even during dry spells. In fact my squash is covered in it even though it's been so dry my lawn is dead. 
     On the other hand, I don't think I've ever seen it on a pepper plant. 

I can tell you with confidence, that's not PM. Those look like outer leaves that get plenty of sun. You are most likely to find PM on inner shaded leaves that are lacking sun. It really does just look like dust. I would spray the plants off with the hose in the evening and call em good.

hogleg said:
I can tell you with confidence, that's not PM. Those look like outer leaves that get plenty of sun. You are most likely to find PM on inner shaded leaves that are lacking sun. It really does just look like dust. I would spray the plants off with the hose in the evening and call em good.

I've seen powdery mildew on other plants, but, check this out (figure 2):

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/peppermildew.htm

My plants do get plenty of sun, though. I've had "sunburn" on some of my leaves already. The Jerusalem sun is just too much, lol. I'm considering that to be more realistic, but, the picture provided in that link almost matches perfectly. I'm just sort of hardpressed to believe it's PM. I didn't see any on the other side of the leaves, either.

Note in that article they refer to it as GREENHOUSE pepper PM, Which where I might add, humidity is most certainly an issue. In order for the PM to exist it needs the right humidity. Which I don't believe would be a problem outdoors in your climate. We are talking about outdoor plants right?

Back