• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Power pruning SRP's during fruiting ?

Hi all and Happy Saturday, 

So I've been having some mixed results my first season back and learning lots from input and reading on this forum, what a great resource. Anyway so My SRP's have had their ups and downs this season, I have a few plants that are IMO pretty good size with a ton of foliage along with a decent amount of peppers. I have a couple that are very leafy so I thought I would conduct an experiment since it was really wilting during the sunny hot periods and some others that didn't have nearly the amount of heavy leaves were making it through the day.

I pruned maybe half the leaves starting with the very large heavy ones and working my way to the center to increase light and air flow and also weight on the branches which are hanging under the weight of peppers. I thought this might encourage pepper ripening, new pod growth and be easier on the plant without all the heavy foliage. This was based on my own guestimations, I may have gone the wrong direction but I thought it would be a good experiment, any thoughts from experience growers are appreciated. On a side note I did find and remove a Caterpillar that would had been eating my leaves but I couldn't find him due to the thickness. It's so weird that they take a few bites then go to some other area to cause more damage, grrr

Have a great weekend

Back