• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pregnant Pepper(Baby Pepper Inside)

I cut into this bhut last night and found something strange... It grew a mini bhut at the tip of the placenta inside... I started sweating after cutting it open, and my fingers burned instantly through purple nitrile gloves :) she was a delicious one; plant's going to be a momma for next year and i'm going to see about growing through the winter in my attic.
Just thought i'd share this with y'all.

IMG_1816_zps9e65faba.jpg

IMG_1819_zps94fdc0ed.jpg

IMG_1818_zps9210d0ba.jpg

IMG_1817_zps08b7b144.jpg

IMG_1820_zps27c8dfb1.jpg

Thats pretty cool. I personally have never seen that in anything I've grown but I have seen it quite a bit in bell peppers I get from the store.

The last batch of habaneros the in-laws mailed me all were like this. One even had a seed inside it. Don't remember if I saved the seed or not, if I did, it is mixed in the batch of seeds, I did plant a few but none germinated.... I didn't use the smaller ones in the sauce the habaneros were turned into....

yeah i can't finish cutting a single superhot i'm growing, without my fingers burning... going to have to try the captain's suggestion, it really sucks for taking out contacts!

I've cut all kinds of superhots wearing them with no problem. I actually ruined several pairs of contacts after cutting yellow 7's and bhuts so I wear gloves with anything hotter than a jalapeño.

yeah i can't finish cutting a single superhot i'm growing, without my fingers burning... going to have to try the captain's suggestion, it really sucks for taking out contacts!

Wow, I would think you've got a bad batch of gloves or something. I can slice up Bhuts or Scorpions practically all day while wearing el-cheap-o latex gloves from Home Depot.

I've had that happen a few times too, but in my case the internal "baby" pepper has always still been green even though the external "parent" pepper was ripe.

Yeah the capsicums (bell peppers) from the store are always like that. Never had it in a hot chilli though.

I've always wondered does anyone know why it occurs?
Has a seed within the pod germinated and started to grow as the first pod is still ripening?
Or is it more of a conjoined twin type situation?

Back