• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

PRF Pizza delivery

Zander there are both Lemon Drop and Datil in the pics, but the pepper I think you want identified is a Chocolate Fatalii that briefly turns brown and then finally red. Nice size pepper and it does have heat and will be made into poppers in just a few. I have been boiling used jars and will pickle the Lemon Drop and Datil and a couple others tonight. Big regular Fatalii harvest late this year. Zero plants being overwintered.

Fade to Black those peppers are the CARDI Yellow Scorpions and will also make great poppers.:mouthonfire:

Was just curious because they look very similar in shapes and color
as the pods that are starting to ripen on my plants.

They do look delicious!

Pretty green pizza pods. Making a mash with this batch.:mouthonfire:
IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

The coldest night so far was last night and it got down to only 40F. I live near the beach and the humidy is very high which I believe helps. I start moving plants outside late March and if lucky grow until December. I feel very lucky this year.:)

It was 28F here last night and we've had several nights below freezing already here in N. Virginia. Lost a couple of plants that were left out and I didn't really care about. The rest have been shuffled in and out of the garage - too much work. Basement time is coming soon for those worth keeping.

Thanks a lot Nate and Noah, really appreciate it. This is the first mash I've made so I'll post pics. The ripe pepper mash I use about 1/2 cup salt and the green I used about 1/3 cup. I funneled that in to clean milk jugs and sealed. I have shaken, not stirred my mash any chance I get. Will let sit until the new year and go from there. I really hope this works, was easy to process a bunch of peppers and is my favorite style of sauce. Any pointer from people who have done this before is appreciated.;)
IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Looking good here. Here's a pointer: You'll be happier with glass or oak when making your mash. Get your hands on something and you'll never look back at those plastic jugs again!:cheers:

Pepper-Guru said:
Looking good here. Here's a pointer: You'll be happier with glass or oak when making your mash. Get your hands on something and you'll never look back at those plastic jugs again!:cheers:

I agree, i have just yesterday learnt that plastic can allow oxygen in whilst retaining positive pressure. Weird i know but true.

Edit: Bah, oak is the same.

If this works I will invest in a Fermenting Crock Pot thanks for the Protip* Pepper-Guru good one. I want to make larger batches in the future and need to dial in how much salt per gallon of peppers.

Novacastrian said:
I agree, i have just yesterday learnt that plastic can allow oxygen in whilst retaining positive pressure. Weird i know but true.

Maybe you need to check the seel on your bong Nova.:idea:

Are you adding any kefir or starter cultures to your mash, or just hoping to culture some wild lactobacillus?
Watch for white mold on the top surface. I like to keep my peppers submerged in a brine to prevent molds

No starter was used this time just peppers and salt. Hope to keep one of these going and use some brine as my starter culture next go round. I have a pretty good slushy going on in there and it is shaken daily to turn the mash over. Fingers crossed thanks Potawie.

Novacastrian said:

Edit: Bah, oak is the same.
It isn't so much the oxygen/pressure exchange, so much as the mere "flavor" that I was worried about, but good tip! I like glass or oak for that real vintage taste.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
If this works I will invest in a Fermenting Crock Pot thanks for the Protip* Pepper-Guru good one. I want to make larger batches in the future and need to dial in how much salt per gallon of peppers.

Maybe you need to check the seel on your bong Nova.:idea:

Well, I can help you there...the seal on my bong works fine so if my math is off forgive me, but I know its 1 tblsp per cup so at 16 cups pers gallon thats 1 cup of salt per gallon. Sounds right.:cool:

POTAWIE said:
Are you adding any kefir or starter cultures to your mash, or just hoping to culture some wild lactobacillus?
Watch for white mold on the top surface. I like to keep my peppers submerged in a brine to prevent molds
Can't speak for most people but I never have used the stuff; its been my experience that ANYTHING touching the hotter types of peppers are only going to be benificial to your health anyway so...not to mention Im big on natural/organic ways of life.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
No starter was used this time just peppers and salt. Hope to keep one of these going and use some brine as my starter culture next go round. I have a pretty good slushy going on in there and it is shaken daily to turn the mash over. Fingers crossed thanks Potawie.
As long as you keep things salted there are many ways to go about making great tasting mashes. Different tastes too! Try leaving some jars UNTURNED after the first good salting...that will really throw your taste buds into hyper-speed!

"Im big on natural/organic ways of life."
As far as I know Lactobacillus is natural/organic and is needed for this fermenting process whether you introduce known starters or just rely on what's naturally present in the peppers, air and water

Back