• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Primo's & Reapers ?

My photos aren't great and the wife who has camera skills said taking pictures of peppers was one notch above taking pictures of paint drying . Take to mean she won't help or anyone can do that .....  ;)

I ordered some Promos & Reapers from a vender here . I have several question . First is about the size of the pods in both pictures . Do those look normal or small ? I know plant's give off different sizes at different stages of their life . But what's your thoughts ?

The other question do these look the same ? I selected a few of each. Tried to show size , pimples , stingers , etc. Should there large differences in the appearence between the two ? 

I know pictures aren't the best way to make a " for sure " comment . Do both photos look like the same Pepper ? Holding them in my hand and closely looking them over ..... I feel they're the same . Guys here yesterday felt the same . We did a tasting .... but it's not like comparing Beers.
You ( or us anyway ) can only do a few A to B's .....

Any pictures that might help me please give 'em up .........

Peace 

Ahellip.jpg

Bhellip.jpg

Not trying to stir anything but crossing peppers so many ways no wonder two peppers look alike, there almost the same cross even if there not the "same" pepper at lest they have a lot of the same genes in them so they look the same. The Real Answer if there the same might not ever be known there to close in genes if there not to even worry about, If you like them grow them if you don't, don't. Being a cross even at f10 they might throw different Pheno's it's genes doing there best to survive..

It is hard to tell them apart by looking at them. It`s also hard to tell Brain strains from TSMB, but there`s no controversy there. The original red 7-pot looks like a number of 7-pot strains, no controversy there. Aji lemon and Aji pineapple also look very similar...........Can you tell a Crow from a Raven when they are in flight? Or a Bottlenosed Dolphin from a Common Dolphin? etc etc etc. 

Judging anything by looks alone just gives a very incomplete picture. Personally, I think that Reapers and Primos are very different in flavour and effects, but that`s just me. Both are good peppers, IMHO. I prefer Primos for flavour, but again, that`s just me. Reapers kill my stomach, but Primos don`t, which is also a desirable trait to me. I grew both this year and I will again next year.

If you don`t have room for 2 peppers that look extremely similar, toss a coin and choose one that way. The Carolina Reaper gets bashed way more than it deserves. Sure, it`s not ideal when a supposedly stable strain throws a lot of different phenotypes, but one grower reports that in hundreds of plants grown, the off-phenotypes were less than 10% (Old Barn Nursery). 

In the end, it`s all good. You get to grow some cool peppers and then enjoy eating them as well. What`s not to like? 

I've tried Reapers from 2 sources and I've had Primos from 3 different sources.  The only way I can tell the difference between them is in the burn.  To me, appearance and flavor are nearly identical.  However, in both instances of eating the Reapers, I got a numbing sensation from the burn.  I got no such sensation out of the Primos that I have tried.  Bot were very hot initially, but the numbing sensation in my mouth from the Reapers caused the burn to feel muted.

And Nigel is spot on.  Even if it isn't what you expect, it could turn out to be something even better than you had imagined.  Everybody gets up in arms if a type of pepper they expected to grow didn't come out true.  Granted if you've paid money for the seeds then there is some room to gripe, but in the end you've got a pepper.  And it could be a pepper that exceeds your expectations.

Reapers to me have a more tong and thin tail, while the Primo has a more curled tail in most of the cases I've seen. But as has been said above the best way to see the difference is the taste. Primo's have better flavor, and the Reapers have more overall painful heat.

Back