• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pro- mix HP Vs. Pro-mix bx for Florida weather?

Wondering what you all think would be better suited for growing outdoors in Florida. Just worried about the retaining and draining of the too. Do you think the bx would drain well with the rainy conditions we get in the summer? Would the HP require a ton of watering when the rain isn't here? Any help would be great.

Bud

They both will require a lot of water. The hp has 10% more perlite then bx, making it very light. I would stick with hp unless you want to plan for a large plant in a smaller sized pot. The heavy mix will hold up the huge plant, and not require as much water. I always grow in 70% peat 30% perlite just like hp but I want to try using the heavy potting mix on a few plants for the concept of large plants small containers and added fertilizer of course. Did this last year and it worked very well.

I would stay with pro mix, it is a good grow medium.

the only thing i use promix for is starter seedlings and first potting up, then after that i use a medium grade peat mix with all my own add ins. but i wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference between hp or bx. i have felt them both and both appeared very similar, i went with hp because it was $2.00 cheaper and i had coupons for it.

Well I'd like to mix my own but I have no idea what and how much I'd need. I'm going for 20 or so varieties and two of each. So I'm going to need a lot. The hydro store near me sells fox farm ocean forest and the pro mixes. Just trying to get it premixed. Maybe get the hp and add some stuff to it? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Is that the jungle growth?

Well I'd like to mix my own but I have no idea what and how much I'd need. I'm going for 20 or so varieties and two of each. So I'm going to need a lot. The hydro store near me sells fox farm ocean forest and the pro mixes. Just trying to get it premixed. Maybe get the hp and add some stuff to it? Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

The hp is it, don't add anything it supposed to ph balanced with lime. Just make sure to wet the mix in pots or what ever to get the lime to react. Pro mix is the best deal there is. If using a soilless medium like promix you should have a complete hydroponic fertilizer otherwise use potting soil.

You say with promix I should have a complete hydro fert? What exactly does that mean? I was going to use fish emulsion and bone meal. Also Epsom salt foilar spray. Would that work with pro mix? Or do I need something different?

Organics are not very reliable in containers believe it or not. They need organisims to break down those things you listed. Hydro fertilizer are instantly available making a trouble free growing experience. I have used in-organic fertilizers (general hydroponics 3 part) in the past with great results but choose to use botanicare pure blend pro grow all the way through. It is the closest to organic with out the need of living soil to break it down. If you choose to use organic use somthing with microbes like compost tea, root inoculants (garden tone has them).

Hope this helps.

Ok. I'll try to find some of the botanicare stuff if I go with pro mix. If I do would that be all I need to feed the plants? By itself will it be enough?

I find the pure blend pro is good with soil mixs that some micro nutrients in it. If you the best fertilizer for the money I would get Dyna-gro grow or foliage pro it has everything in a easy to use formula. It is the best fertilizer ever! Use fertilizer 1/4 strength of they say the lable and never go over that. If you want to use botanicare you would need to buy a lot of products to come close to dyna gro, I just use botanicare becuse it has no ammonium and bad sulfates. So as a result I pay more and get less yeild but better crop the way nature should be. If your growing in promix, it has no minor or major nutrients so Dyna-gro FP will get you started. If they don't have dyna-gro go with botanicare cns-17 and cal-mag. I keep it simple as where some people are buying things they may not need and honestly thats what you would get into if you wanted to complete the botanicare line. Thats the reason I recomend Dyna-gro or generialhydroponics 3-part. The shop where you get the pro mix will help but now you will go in there more informative.

I'm glad I read this topic. My pepper plants are about 1 month and a half and my plans was to use organic fertilizes (granular) on my medium which is Pro-Mix BX. Those plans are now down the drain. It makes perfect sense now that granular fertilizers wont brake down in pro-mix...maybe it would but it would need a lot of time.. The plants would put all their energy trying to feed off the medium... So here's my new plan of attack.. I did a lot of research and going to use General Hydroponics Go box starter kit..for about $ 35 local hydro shop. It's an organic fertilizer and can be used in different grow mediums like soil,soilless mix, hydro etc ....
what do you guys think ?

Simply astonishing that peppers would actually grow in the wild without the aid of chemicals, added nutrients, etc.. :)

I agree.. I've always been amazed how they grow in the wild with no fertilizers or nutrients..

Simply astonishing that peppers would actually grow in the wild without the aid of chemicals, added nutrients, etc.. :)
Growing in containers is a different from nature. In the confinment of pots "Pro mix" is different from native soil in the earth that have natural wicking and gravity in this action allowing air get to roots, thus why using too much compost as part of a mix could cause too much water log.

I'm glad I read this topic. My pepper plants are about 1 month and a half and my plans was to use organic fertilizes (granular) on my medium which is Pro-Mix BX. Those plans are now down the drain. It makes perfect sense now that granular fertilizers wont brake down in pro-mix...maybe it would but it would need a lot of time.. The plants would put all their energy trying to feed off the medium... So here's my new plan of attack.. I did a lot of research and going to use General Hydroponics Go box starter kit..for about $ 35 local hydro shop. It's an organic fertilizer and can be used in different grow mediums like soil,soilless mix, hydro etc ....
what do you guys think ?

I agree.. I've always been amazed how they grow in the wild with no fertilizers or nutrients..

General Organics?

promix has nothing in the way of nutrients. we use promix during the seedling stage because seedlings provide all their own nutrients, until that moment when the second leaves are in full growth. then it is time to start adding some nutrients. hopefully by then the seedling is of substantial size and you can start adding nutrients.

Growing in containers is a different from nature. In the confinment of pots "Pro mix" is different from native soil in the earth that have natural wicking and gravity in this action allowing air get to roots, thus why using too much compost as part of a mix could cause too much water log.

General Organics?
Yup General Organics ... Sorry about that
what do you think ?

I found growing in large earth box type of containers to be more successful for me. It allows me to use a VERY light and fluffy mix like Pro-Mix HP. The problem I found with using a really light fluffy mix in pots is you have to water more often. I'm in a cool coastal area and I still had to water a couple of times a week. As a result found myself using bigger and bigger pots which also allowed bigger yields. I eventually ended up with a single 32 gallon earth box type of container for 2 plants. Using the earth box type of container I could water once a month and use a mix as light as I wanted to help promote root growth.

For my feeding I setup bi-wekly foliar feeding and used the GH 3 stage with a wetting agent. I also have a worm farm so I would give them a good shot of worm tea on the opposite week of feeding. Add in some selective pruning to help your plant focus on fruit and not foliage and your set. Using this setup I could yield a pound or 2 of fruit a week.

P1010021.jpg

I found growing in large earth box type of containers to be more successful for me. It allows me to use a VERY light and fluffy mix like Pro-Mix HP. The problem I found with using a really light fluffy mix in pots is you have to water more often. I'm in a cool coastal area and I still had to water a couple of times a week. As a result found myself using bigger and bigger pots which also allowed bigger yields. I eventually ended up with a single 32 gallon earth box type of container for 2 plants. Using the earth box type of container I could water once a month and use a mix as light as I wanted to help promote root growth.

For my feeding I setup bi-wekly foliar feeding and used the GH 3 stage with a wetting agent. I also have a worm farm so I would give them a good shot of worm tea on the opposite week of feeding. Add in some selective pruning to help your plant focus on fruit and not foliage and your set. Using this setup I could yield a pound or 2 of fruit a week.

P1010021.jpg
That's a sweet setup...nicely done... Can you be please provide us with some instructions on how to build it ? thanks ...
Right now I'm having problems with my 6" containers with promix BX..I watered last Monday and till now it's still wet and no signs of drying...
I'm concerned about drowning my plants...one is already turning a bit yellow... The pots have about 4 holes on the bottom side of pots.. Maybe I need to drill a few more holes in the bottom ? I can't even feed them my liquid fertilizer because they are too wet to water ...Ive been reading about foliage feeding and looks like It might be my next method of feeding ...
Can you feed foliage with a complete fertilizer ?
Thanks .!!

That's a sweet setup...nicely done... Can you be please provide us with some instructions on how to build it ? thanks ...
Right now I'm having problems with my 6" containers with promix BX..I watered last Monday and till now it's still wet and no signs of drying...
I'm concerned about drowning my plants...one is already turning a bit yellow... The pots have about 4 holes on the bottom side of pots.. Maybe I need to drill a few more holes in the bottom ? I can't even feed them my liquid fertilizer because they are too wet to water ...Ive been reading about foliage feeding and looks like It might be my next method of feeding ...
Can you feed foliage with a complete fertilizer ?
Thanks .!!

I followed this setup on you-tube, but I used PVC for the bottoms wics instead of cups. As I was adding my soil I realized the weight of the soil wet was too heavy and collapsed the cups so I pulled it apart got some PVC (I think it was 4") and cut holes in them and tie strapped them to the bottom to avoid them from moving around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bhW5hf09ak

Not sure what you mean when you asked about foliar feeding with a "complete fertilizer". Although you don't have to use a wetting agent I found it helped create tiny little micro beads on the plant.

spicy_ghost_805 said:
Hello.. Can you please guide me thru the steps of foliage feeding ?
I have my plants indoors inside a grow tent with HO T5 8 tube...
With promix BX .... I watered last Monday and till now it's still wet and no signs of drying... I want to feed my plants because a couple are slightly turning yellow and some have started wrinkles and curled foliage..
But I cannot watered because it's too wet. Don't want to drown my plants.
I have no experience with foliage feeding. Don't know where to start or what products. You mentioned GH 3 par ... What is it ? Is it general Hydroponics 3 part solution ? Thank you for your help ..
btw check out my setup on my postings.. Glog
Cheers .!!

You can find a previous post that I wrote a while back on foliar feeding here.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21562-maximum-growth-with-foliar-feeding/page__hl__foilar__fromsearch__1

As for the GH 3 part "Flora Series" you can read up on that here.

http://generalhydroponics.com/site/index.php/products/nutrients/flora_series/

Back