• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pro Mix in North Carolina

Looking to see if any of you NC or SC guys/gals could let me in on where to buy pro-mix. I know of a couple of places but was looking to shop around before I spent $35 on a bale. No problem doing it, but it can be found closer or cheaper, Im all for it.

I live in the far western tip of NC, and there is an Ace Hardware about 15-20 minutes south of here in Georgia that said they can get me a bale of Pro Mix for $30. I havent gotten any yet because I have had AWESOME success with my home made soil.
Hope that helps Justin

Sean

Dont know how much cheaper you can get it for where it would be worth a drive of any considerable distance. I bought a bale for about $38. It's compressed, so you get more than enough.

Hot P- What the recipe for your home made mix?

I have a 5 gallon pan I mix with. Not sure what size scoop.
I put in 2 scoops of peat, 3 scoops of Sta Green potting soil, 2 1/2 scoops manure compost, and 1/2 scoop Perlite. Some people may use different, but I am having AWESOME luck with it. My plants that are in containers are bigger, grew faster, and have more pods.
Then of course the normal ferts at their respective intervals.

All the nurseries I have checked around here in Greenville only have Fafard's, which is quality stuff too. I went to Charlotte last week for an immigration appointment for the wife and checked out the HTG store and they have it, but for $40 a bale. They have an excellent selection of stuff there though, so it would be worth it to check it out. I ended up buying a bale of the promix, a lot of worm castings and a few more grow bags.

jacob

I went to the htg store. I could drop some money there. That's where I was talking about getting it. Guy I work with gave me half a bag. I compared some same age same variety plants in cheap mix vs pro mix and the pro mix root ball was 5x that size of the cheap stuff. Ill just go to htg and get it. Only a 30min drive to htg supply store

I went to the htg store. I could drop some money there. That's where I was talking about getting it. Guy I work with gave me half a bag. I compared some same age same variety plants in cheap mix vs pro mix and the pro mix root ball was 5x that size of the cheap stuff. Ill just go to htg and get it. Only a 30min drive to htg supply store

Was talking to my dad about it and he was snooping online and saw that you can order from Ace. Well thats like $39 for a bale and $99 shipping lol. So he went to the local Ace store and inquired.

Well he calls me today and tells me I am the proud new owner of a bale for only $32 :D

Back