• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pro mix outside

can pro mix be used for potted peppers that stay outside or is it for indoor pots only?
can i use any potting mix for pepper pots that are outside all summer?

you can use promix for what ever you want, but, its main purpose, in my opinion, is for seed starting & rearing, because of its porous nature. by the time your plants are ready to be moved outside, you should really be adding some form of compost or other organic matter to your soil. the problem with using promix in regular soil is the cost of the product, you are better to just buy a bag of peat and add a bag of perolite. (promix $28.00) (same size of peat $5.99, perolite $5.99)

i just moved a goatsweed outside(first time i am ever attempting to plant a pepper outside) in soil. as i dug my hole, i mixed in alfalfa hay, coffee grounds, ground banana peels and eggshell. then added a seaweed tea that has been brewing for 2 weeks. the plant is 5 years old and that is generally the life of a pepper plant in my zone, so i decided to put it outdoors this year to see how production fairs. in the fall i will start another batch of goatsweed to replentish my stock. (it is my house pepper).

Yeah you can use it outside, a lot of people do, including me. I mix in some compost, and some extra peat moss and perlite. The compost for nutrients, and the extra peat moss and perlite to make it go a little further since peat moss is cheaper than pro-mix.

Yeah you can use it outside, a lot of people do, including me. I mix in some compost, and some extra peat moss and perlite. The compost for nutrients, and the extra peat moss and perlite to make it go a little further since peat moss is cheaper than pro-mix.

can i mix in some topsoil with pro mix?

I use 100 % Promix in my outdoor pots. I have about 25 of them going. This is my 3rd growing season. The first year, I didn't know that Promix had no organic matter/nutrients, so I didn't add anything to it, and the plants grew great! The 2nd year I mixed in 1/3 compost, and got pepper maggots, which I assume came in with the compost, and the plants didn't grow any better than in pure promix. This year, I'm back to 100 % promix. The only thing I add is TomatoTone (in a generous quantity, about 1.25 x the recommended dose) for the nutrients, mixed well into the pot at all height levels so the growing roots pick it up over time.

I don't see why putting in some topsoil would be a problem. Obviously, it's heavy stuff, and if you add too much, it will have a negative impact on drainage. But in small quantities, why not.

i have 12 more plants coming next week and those will be goin into buckets as well.
i bought some cow manure and worm castings to mix in with the promix.
is cow manure alright to use?or should i use something different?

just for more info this is what i am using.
http://www.premierhort.com/eProMix/Gardening/Products/GrowingMediaTM/ProMixValue/Potting/upPotting.htm

A multi-use, lightweight mix suitable for indoor or outdoor potting, re-potting and transplanting, and for seeding applications. Made with premium Canadian Sphagnum peat moss, it retains moisture longer. Provides drainage and aeration for optimum plant growth. The professional formula preferred by many greenhouse growers throughout North America and Overseas.

Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss Limestone (for pH adjustment)
Perlite Wetting Agent
Vermiculite

Bedding Trays

Dish Gardens
Foliage Plants
Hanging Baskets
Potted Flowers

Fertilize plants 2 to 3 weeks after potting/seeding.
Moisten PRO-MIX at time of utilization.
PRO-MIX Potting & Seeding Mix is recommended for plants requiring a growing pH between 5.5 -7.0.

2 Cu. Ft. (112 L)

HomeProduct Portfolio Professional Web Consumer Web
About Us Contact Us Join our Team Site Map

© Premier Tech Ltd., 2005

Back