• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Problem starting seeds

Ive grown peppers for years but this year I am having difficultly. I must be doing something stupid.

I start a set of seeds, usually like 6-8 per type of plant between 2 paper towels. I usually start 6 or 8 different types of pepper so there are 6-8 groups of 6-8 seeds. I soak the paper towels with a solution of highly filtered water and a combo of various dilute nutrient things. My process has not changed in years it works great with a nearly 100% rate of seeds germinating. After the little root pops from the seed I transplant into a tiny pot and wait for them to break thru the surface. I drop the germinated seedlings into about a 1/4 deep hole and cover them up. I have a little rig setup that can regualte warmth and humidity. I use digital temp sensing. Once in the soil I let them almost dry out and rewater never leaving them too wet.

This year they all sprouted as usall but I ended up with a near 100% loss of them once transplanted.

I did change soil this year. I decided to use MG Organic Choice. I had read this worked well for starting seedlins. At first I blamed the soil. I restarted more with different soil, MG Orchid Mix. Virtually the same result.

I then started thinking about my conditions like heat and humidity. But these were exactly as I had used before very successfully.

I started thinking maybe I had some fungus at work. I bought brand new tiny pots, carefully sterilized them, the soil and everything that touched them. I used distilled water. AGAIN the same results.

I had dug up what was left of the seedlings and each time i saw the same thing. They start turning brown from the tip of the root and progressed up and killed the whole seedling.

What finally got me was seeing this in the paper towels. A few were exhibiting the same thing even before the soil.

The same thing even tho others right besides them are fine..

Naga seeds - i left these grow longer between the paper towels to see what happened.
SeedIssue.jpg

I have now changed to MG Seed starting mix and I am VERY aware of all the conditions and I am giving them a cool period at night and a warm period during daylight hours and also sterilizing soil and containers and just being super paranoid. This is resulting in a MUCH higher yield now but I still have some failures.

BUT I am left completely baffled what caused this year to be so horrible. The seeds I used wee from 2 very different sources and were all effected the same.

Anyone have any suggestions on what in the world happened ?

I soak the paper towels with a solution of highly filtered water and a combo of various dilute nutrient things.

What are these "nutrient things"? I do basically the same thing minus any nutrients until the plants have a couple sets of leaves. Even potting soil can have too many nutes for new pepper seedlings. Most seed starting mixes don't have any nutrients at all, so that could be your problem. Now that you've switched to a starting mix, I would just use plain water and see if you still have problems. At least there will be less variables to consider if the problem continues. Just my 2 cents.

And :welcome:

Indeed I tried that too. I even used distilled water on one set. Same thing.

My starting nute stuff is a combo of a number of things. Some Chilli Focus and some Bat Guano ( P ). Just a tiny bit of each.

This has proved way better then no nutes. All my seeds start in a week or less using this mixture along with a 80 degree dark environment sealed in a big ziplock with some air.

Ive used this for years. It works awesome for me. I usually have a almost 100% success rate with first baby leaves poking up from the soil in 2-2 1/2 weeks. BUT NOT THIS TIME.

So can anyone identify what causes that brown stuff to happen on the seed in my pic ? Always starts from the very tip and starts at about the same age of seedling. On some it does not happen at all and the plants grow at a normal rate with no issues. All with the same conditions, soil, temp, nutes...

Its annoying.

I do now have enough of a crop started that I will be good for this year, but man I went thru A LOT of seedlings to get here.

Maybe its something really freaky like something in the plastic in the ziplocks ? Or maybe something in my water.. Man I just dont know.

And yes thank you.. I am glad to have found this forum. Lots of very smart pepper growers here.

Ive already learned alot about various strains and will have to try some fun stuff for next years crop.

I have learned this year to NEVER use MG organic choice. I ended up transplanting the survivors out of this stuff. What I found is that this soil, even if bottom watered dries out in a matter of hours, literally. I changed to MG moisture control and way better results. And the MG organic choice, because it is so dry, is impossible to pull out of a flat for transplanting. It crumbles like a cookie.

I overhauled some of my growing strategies from last year. I decided to incorporate a few suggestions made to other members from prominent chili growers.

AJ > Rapid Rooter Grow Plugs
Silver_Surfer & others > Pro Mix BX

Last year I used the MG Moisture Control Mix, but felt it retain too much moisture a lot of the time. Members have suggested staying away from the moisture control products for that reason in respects to growing chilies.

Even the masters are always adding some new tweaks each year to their growing strategies. So I am convinced if you have an open mind there's always something we can do to grow better chillies.

I used Hoffman's starter mix (recommended by AJ) germinating the seed in the mix with no nutes till they had a couple of real leaves and had fantastic success.

This is my first year, so can't give you a wealth of experience, but seems that the paper towel thing might just be a wasted extra step

That's gotta be real disappointing :mope:

Another variable you might want to consider is the paper towels.
I know you said you've used them successfully in the past.... but while the residual amounts of formaldehyde(wet strength) and dioxin(pulp making and disinfectant) used in their manufacturing processes are minute...it might be just enough to negatively affect your seed germination.
Just a thought.

I know you said you've used them successfully in the past.... but while the residual amounts of formaldehyde(wet strength) and dioxin(pulp making and disinfectant) used in their manufacturing processes are minute...it might be just enough to negatively affect your seed germination.
Just a thought.

Good point. I went away from the paper towels this year also and starting using the cups. Much better germination.

I overhauled some of my growing strategies from last year. I decided to incorporate a few suggestions made to other members from prominent chili growers.

Last year I used the MG Moisture Control Mix, but felt it retain too much moisture a lot of the time. Members have suggested staying away from the moisture control products for that reason in respects to growing chilies.

Even the masters are always adding some new tweaks each year to their growing strategies. So I am convinced if you have an open mind there's always something we can do to grow better chillies.

I agree on keeping an open mind. I will try any soil but for sure I personally would stay away from the MG organic mix...not good at all.
So far the moisture control for me has worked well. Now I did add in my own amounts of perlite to it as well so maybe that is why Im not having any issue but the moisture content of mine is doing very well and the seedlings are growing better than any soil I have used in the past. I may try some of the other soils next year that I have heard about on here. I just got all mine in prior to being on this site so it was to late :)

I'm a big fan of Wonder Soil now for seed starting. I tried it for the 1st time this year. Most rapid root growth I've ever experienced. Pro-Mix BX was also good for starts, but not this good.

Xymox, here's another idea for you to try if you are not having any luck. Maybe try the Jiffy peat pellets under a dome method as a last resort. Plenty of the most respected members on this site do not recommend it, and they have their reasons. This year I have been experimenting with the paper towel method, planting seeds directly in Promix BX pots, and Jiffy pellets all under the Jiffy dome placed on a heat mat. They all have exactly the same conditions and all get only rain water, and never dry out because of the dome. I will be damned if my best results have come from the Jiffy pellets so far. I am hoping that planting the seeds directly into the Promix soil and keeping under the dome until germination works best in the long run, because that requires the least amount of work and time. I am trying to get away from the Jiffy pellets because I really value the opinions of some of these guys here, but if you are desperate, try that. It is cheap, and it is another method that may work for you. Good luck.

+1 on the Jiffy pellets. I tried peat pellets and 2 different starting mixes this year. The pellets and Shultz starting mix were both way ahead of the Jiffy seed starting mix which had a head start on them. Although when I use peat pellets I always remove about 1/3 of the peat and "fluff" them back up until full. I find them too dense otherwise.

+1 on the Jiffy pellets. I tried peat pellets and 2 different starting mixes this year. The pellets and Shultz starting mix were both way ahead of the Jiffy seed starting mix which had a head start on them. Although when I use peat pellets I always remove about 1/3 of the peat and "fluff" them back up until full. I find them too dense otherwise.

Me too! I pulled the bottom third off and fluffed about 20 yesterday. Wellwhaddayaknow!

AJ does NOT use Rapit Rooter Grow Plugs...I use Hoffmans Seed Starting mix as was stated...

Wow LOTS of great advice..

Jeeze had I only known about this forum BEFORE I got them all started..

But there is always next year :)

Just a thought.

That is a good point.. There were about the only thing common actually.. Hmmm.... And they are the cheapest generic paper towels.. Hmmmmmmmm................

Ive always used MG Potting Mix and that has worked great for me. This year i changed.. I have not decided on what to transplant them into once they have some leaves going yet. That is yet anouther topic of course..

The MG Organic Choice being dry is a good point. I noticed that as well. Its also HARD... I noticed that the Organic Choice was really hard to get thru I wondered if the poor seeds just couldn't make it out of the soil !

The MG seed staring mix seems to be doing well..

I will have to decide on some soil I can get locally at the home depot that will be best for me. The standard MG Potting Mix has worked great for me in the past. Maybe I will just use what i know works. I would like to do some tweaking tho and play with new things..

My Bhut from last year is sure doing well so far this year. I am in Phoenix Az and its already getting into the 80's..
Bhut.jpg

AJ does NOT use Rapit Rooter Grow Plugs...I use Hoffmans Seed Starting mix as was stated...

I don't think that I could find the thread now, but it was posted somewhere that you were using them. I should have come back to you on that one.

I respect your chili wisdom tremendously, definitely one of the masters.

Back