• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Problem with Chocolate Scotch Bonnet

Anybody familiar with leaves losing their green color? The plant is sitting a few inches below a florescent grow light and was planted in a mix of Miracle Grow potting soil and coco fiber. Watered well when transplanted about five days ago. There was no obvious problem with it prior to moving it. Could it be in shock?

IMG_3821.jpg

Thanks everyone.

Tube, 24 inches. Wally World sells them for under $10. There are about 70 other sprouts living the same life and they're fine. Thanks for the comment.

I think I have a similar problem......
chillipics14thFeb09011.jpg
[/IMG]
It's beginning to get it's colour back since I gave it some epsom salts but I dont know what the cause is.

Agreed, top picture looks like light-burn. Bottom like deficiency or bugs. Not the same problem.

70 other sprouts all fine? Could be bugs or a deficiency, but that's exactly what my plants looked like when I burned them :)

Patrick: questions...
is this the only plant you transplanted into the same soil mixture?

the miracle grow potting soil...how old was it?...

and what is the NPK content of the soil?

Have you fed them anything since transplant?...

it looks like chlorosis but chlorosis can be caused from any number of reasons...

since this is just a new transplant, check the pH of your soil...that would be logical to me since you just transplanted...

Chlorosis
Chlorosis is a yellowing of leaf tissue due to a lack of chlorophyll. Possible causes of chlorosis include poor drainage, damaged roots, compacted roots, high alkalinity, and nutrient deficiencies in the plant. Nutrient deficiencies may occur because there is an insufficient amount in the soil or because the nutrients are unavailable due to a high pH (alkaline soil). Or the nutrients may not be absorbed due to injured roots or poor root growth. (lifted from http://urbanext.illinois.edu/focus/chlorosis.html )

cholorosis pictures - http://images.google.com/images?hl=...&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

as far as the second picture goes...that's a sick plant but as Pam suggested, I would look for critters underneath the leaves and among the tender growth...you need a magnifying glass (at least I do anyway)....if you have no magnifying glass, take a piece of white paper, put it under the leaves, then thump the leaves and look what hits the paper...if it is tiny dots that move around, that will be spider mites...you can see aphids with the naked eye...thrips as Pam says are bad news...

Patrick's Chocolate SB just looks like it's got wet feet to me. Let it dry out and I'll bet it will be fine.

Thanks all. Chlorosis was my first thought too AJ but why wouldn't the other leaves look the same? I don't know if you can tell from the pic but it's only the larger leaves that are doing it.

The MG potting soil is brand new, just got it.

There is no NPK in coco fiber and the MG pot soil is 21/7/14.

I haven't given them anything since transplanting except water.

Is there anything I can do for the sunburn or should I just find a spot farther away from the lights?

Thanks for the help everyone.

lets think something other than sunscald..that set me back 2-3 months on plants last year...

reason I asked about the MG was that excessive nitrogen uptake could burn a plant...I know MG time release pellets releases its nitrogen pretty fast at first...surely the soil wouldn't burn like this...

I do not think it is possible to burn your plants with a fluoro tube? Mine are touching the plants 90% of the time but I don't know about the grow bulbs. I would lean more to what AJ is going for.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
I do not think it is possible to burn your plants with a fluoro tube? Mine are touching the plants 90% of the time but I don't know about the grow bulbs. I would lean more to what AJ is going for.

Dale

Fluoros won't burn the plant unless its touching them.

However, T5 fluoros and those CFLs will burn the crap out of the plants if they touch them for any length of time. But its a physical burn, like the leaf will crisp up and die where it was in contact because the heat.

Don't know what the problem is though. Could be overwatering or nute burn from the MG. Maybe it just happened to hit a hot spot in the MG mix. Don't know. Hope you get it figured out.

Thanks for the help folks. I'm going to separate this plant from the rest just in case there is something contagious with it. If I find anything out I'll post it here.

What is the temp at the plant?

The light might might not burn it on it's own but the light combined with a hotter than usual environment can burn it...

patrick said:
Anybody familiar with leaves losing their green color? The plant is sitting a few inches below a florescent grow light and was planted in a mix of Miracle Grow potting soil and coco fiber. Watered well when transplanted about five days ago. There was no obvious problem with it prior to moving it. Could it be in shock?

IMG_3821.jpg

Thanks everyone.

That is exactly how ALL mine cs bonnet seedlings look like, all my annums seems to start their life with such vigour that i nearly believe they would rise up thru concrete, but my cs bonnets and carribian reds all start off like that. My fruiting Monkey Face's also have that discoloration as shown on the post below yours, i will try to take some pictures, in my case, it seems some of the leaves on the top of canopy loses colour partially, dont know why. i got a light tan on all of the top leaves around new years eve, but i got all the tops, and now they seem fine, it probably was light burn (250w HID too close)

I had a botanist friend check out this thread. He thinks the plant is starving because the medium it's growing in is too acidic and that won't allow the plant to get the nutrients it needs. I'm going to add some Epsom salt water to it and see what happens. Wish me luck.

Also, I've noticed a couple more of them beginning to show the same signs. I'm going to hold off on treating them with the salt water until I see the effect it has on the other one.

Temps around the plants are low 70's. I was concerned it may be too cool. I have a fan blowing on them too.

Thanks again all for your responses, this place rocks.

I'll have to head to my local home gardening store and get a tester I guess. Anybody have a recommendation for a good one?

Thanks again.

Patrick...you can either get a meter or just use a test kit like you would use for a pool...either way, you will need to make a slurry of the soil in some pH neutral water to get an accurate reading...

I bought a soil test kit from forrestry suppliers that allows you to test ph and NPK levels...was about 30 bucks...

Back