• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Problem with Chocolate Scotch Bonnet

Thanks AJ.

My botanist buddy said you're the one who was on the right track when you brought up the soil. Way to go old timer!:P

patrick said:
I'll have to head to my local home gardening store and get a tester I guess. Anybody have a recommendation for a good one?

Thanks again.

I'd be checking the ph of your water as well.
Also I believe coco does have nutrient salts in it, especially potassium, which is one reason special nutrients are recommended for coir.

The water I'll be using has gone through a reverse osmosis filtering system. Or should I pick up some distilled water?

I know that raw coco fiber has excess sodium and potassium in it but I thought the stuff sold commercially was all treated and washed? Could be, probably am, wrong. Thanks POTAWIE, appreciate the help.

Reverse osmosis is probably over-kill unless you have a water problem to start with and will usually still need ph adjusting. Also, you should check the ph of your water after you mix in your nutrients, it can change a lot

Measure the pH of the nutrient solution, then measure the pH of the run-off after you water and compare the two.

I'd be most concerned about the ph of the source water(+nutes) and possibly the nutrient levels(N P K +micros) in the runoff

You guys have me slightly confused. First off I have the water filter hooked up at my sink so it isn't a problem. It is OK to use though right?

I picked up an electronic soil tester. Does that mean I don't have or need a nutrient solution?

What is the 'runoff' and why would I check it?

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. I'll get through this some how.

Freaking tester doesn't work right out of the box. Crap. I'll be back

tackle one test at a time Patrick...get your pH of your soil tested...then you can deal with other tests if necessary...what every one has said could be a causitive factor, but you can't test all at once...just be patient and you will figure it out youngin' ;)

Thanks for the advice AJ.

I tested the one plant this thread is about and the pH is 8.1 so I need to bring it down correct? I've read that peat is a good way to raise acidity, any others?

I tested the coco fiber by itself and it was about 8.4 so if I add peat to it I should be able to bring it down. So what I'm trying to get to is a pH of 6.5 correct?

Looks like I've got some work to do.

Thanks for the help gang.

That ph is very high. You need to determine if your soil is the cause of the high ph or if its your feeding water or if your instrument is inaccurate. Coir and most potting mixes are ph stable and even buffer ph to a point, so I'd be thinking its more water related. Coir usually has a ph of approx 5.2-6.3 but I'm unsure about miracle grow mix.

Thanks for the link AJ. Do you know if it's possible to buy a single bottle from these folks or is it case only. Take me a long, long time to use up a case. Probably go bad before I had a chance.

I tested my water. Straight out of the sink it's almost 8, out of the filtered dispenser it's slightly under 7.

I'm not sold on my tester yet. I soaked a bunch of peat overnight and it tested at almost 9. I hate buying things that are crap. Anybody have any recommendations?

Again, thanks for all the help.

good info everyone... i am also suffering from the same colour loss and will be following these steps as well...

the meters are just so expensive...grrrr

anygood meters out there on the cheap ?

What kind of tester do you have patrick that measures soil and water ph? Usually you need 2 different instuments and from your readings it sounds like the one you have is made for water testing.
Edit:Ok, I just re-read and found you have a "electronic soil tester" but what type is it?

This is what you need:
yhst-77307526665592_2033_43056656

http://www.somocohydro.com/722080.html

You can find that at any hydro shop. pH up & down starter kit. Comes with both adjusters & a tester. Those bottles will last a long time too, I'm still working on one from a year or 2 ago.

I have to ph down my tap water and I use the 3 drop kit. Try for a ph of 6.0 or yellow on my test. I have the exact same General Hydro ph test kit as Txclosetgrower.

This is the one I'm using. I wasn't aware you needed different testers for different mediums. http://www.burpee.com/product/gardening+supplies/garden+growing/electric+soil+tester.do

After reading the review I'm inclined to agree with the guy. I hate crap. Oh well, I'm taking it back.

Txcg I'm liking the looks of your kit. The only thing is I'm color blind and have trouble comparing slight differences. How many tests can you get out of it? Thanks for the link and the help.

^^^^^ what they said...

I personally don't trust those type of testers, I say take it back. One year at Walmart, I took a bunch of similar testers (these were loose, unpackaged) and brought them to the plant section. When I tested them, most of them had completeley different readings:(

Did you read the one review of the electronic tester on your link;)

I do think its a PH level factor as well... i do have the same kit as TXC but i find it not very accurate...

It could also be a iron-deficient based on this info and image below:

Iron. These iron-deficient leaves (see Figure 12) show strong chlorosis at the base of the leaves with some green netting. The most common symptom for iron deficiency starts out as an interveinal chlorosis of the youngest leaves, evolves into an overall chlorosis, and ends as a totally bleached leaf. The bleached areas often develop necrotic spots. Up until the time the leaves become almost completely white they will recover upon application of iron. In the recovery phase the veins are the first to recover as indicated by their bright green color. This distinct venial re-greening observed during iron recovery is probably the most recognizable symptom in all of classical plant nutrition. Because iron has a low mobility, iron deficiency symptoms appear first on the youngest leaves. Iron deficiency is strongly associated with calcareous soils and anaerobic conditions, and it is often induced by an excess of heavy metals.

wt0501l_s.jpg

Back