• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Problem with my habanero red plants

Hello. :P
This year is my first effort in cultivate hot peppers.
I planted in my balcony habanero "red",habanero "orange" and bhut jolokia.
Now is the time to cut some peppers but I noticed,that 2 of my habanero red plants which have grown peppers,they have orange habaneros.
Is that possible to hybridize in the first year or they will turn their color into red?
As far as I remember seeds of red and orange habanero were different.
So,what could be wrong?

I am not the best one to answer this question but it might be that your orange are on the way to being red. That is only a guess; but on the other hand I had a black jalapeno type of plant that spawned a orange habanaro type pepper on the plant. So who knows where these babies have been before they get to you????

Welcome to this site!
Most likely a mix-up with the seeds. Any photos, are the pods smooth or crevessed shaped?

i got yellow hab seeds that i grew out this year and the plant ended up being an orange hab. i imagine this happens a lot

I am not the best one to answer this question but it might be that your orange are on the way to being red. That is only a guess;
That was what I hoped but are at least 10 days that have not changed their color.
Does anyone know if that is possible?

Where did the seeds come from? Was it reputable seller? Most likely you got the wrong seeds.
I bought them from an e-shop of my country.
I don't know about seller's reputation.
It has only seeds of hot peppers and some ornamental plants.

Welcome to this site!
Most likely a mix-up with the seeds. Any photos, are the pods smooth or crevessed shaped?
In these 2 photos are the same habs that I have turned them upside down.
They are from habanero red plant.

DSCN9920.jpg

DSCN9919.jpg

And in these 2 photos is the same hab and it is from habanero orange plant.
DSCN9921.jpg

DSCN9922.jpg

From what I've heard Red Habs are a hybrid, a Habanero's true color is orange.

i got yellow hab seeds that i grew out this year and the plant ended up being an orange hab. i imagine this happens a lot

The fact that confused me is that the seeds of red and orange habaneros hadn't the same colour.
If they were both orange seeds,didn't they have to be the same colour or maybe are seeds from an unknown hybrid?

Thank you very much guys.. :P

Well, they're definitely not turning red....I can tell ya that for sure lol

Sucks you didn't get the right seeds. I had a Naga Morich plant this season, that produced red pods in the beginning of the season and then midway through it started producing orange pods instead.

It's a strange world out there....I'd message the seller and tell him you are disappointed and want new seeds or a refund.

Ok then. :rolleyes:
Can you tell me please if their shape is ok?
How can I learn if all the seeds of habanero were orange or hybrids?

Rolling your eyes at someone and then asking them for help is kinda counter productive....First I will say if you want to know if your plants are the real deal or fakes...buy seeds from a REPUTABLE DEALER. That way, you don't have to come one here trying to figure out what the hell some shady character sold you on the net.

You will never know what they really are, you need a scientist to do dna testing on them to know for sure. That's why you buy seeds from a trusted source. Lesson learned..I hope.

Leave some on the plant longer and see if they change. Mine stayed orange for a while, and I thought that I made a mistake. Nope. 300 red hab pods later...

If they are not red habs, and you leave them on the plant, they will just become a dark orange color and you will have your answer.

The pictures show that the shape is most likely a habanero. Have you ever eaten one? Would you be able to tell the difference between a red and an orange one by taste? I can't and orange is my favorite habanero so far.

I'm not offended by the eye roll. It's just a thing, and I took it as, "Ok now I'm really confused." Hard to hear inflection a written post. But the advice to buy from a reputable seller is good advice, although even reputable sellers make mistakes too. Maybe someone here can recommend a reputable seller in Greece for you? :rolleyes: = "I wonder."

Grow on pepper friend! :dance:

Thank you very much jesus.
They have passed over 10 days and they haven't change their colour but I will leave some habs a bit more,so to be sure If they stay orange or not.

I haven't eaten hab yet so I can't tell you about their flavour.Now,I am looking for some recipes. :P

Of course I'm confused.It's my first cultivation of hot peppers,so I don't know everything.
I have read a lot of things about growing habs and I learn more every day.

It was the only greek shop that had hot pepper seeds.I didn't know that there was a possibility to send me wrong seeds.
Now,I learned it and I will seek more next time for seeds.
I don't know even if ebay has good dealers,so If you can suggest me a reputation seller that would be good.

Being new has its fallbacks here. Soon you will learn. Just dig in to all of the glogs and you will find more information than you can handle. I love habs and I do not have a stick up me arse, so if you have questions, I'd be happy to share my limited experience with you. Habs were my favorite, until I ate a Fatalii. 10 days is nothing. Wait them out. You willknow when they are screaming to be picked of the stay orange.

DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY! Not just because most of the seed sellers are shucksters, but also because they are an evil corporate monopoly!

I cannot speak for sellers here, so you may want to check Burpee and see if they ship to you. They have a good starter selection. PM me your address and I will see what I can do to get some seeds to you. I never sent anything to Greece.

Following the thread. Good luck with the habs! Careful with the eye roll emoticons... :rolleyes: :party: ;)

10 days is not very long, they could easily stay orange for that long before turning red if they are red habs, BUT if this is the case they usually aren't such a uniform and equal color so I do think you have orange habs.

I don't know of a good place to buy seed in Greece but the following looks like less of a risk than eBay, but they don't have red habs, only orange habs, Bhut Jolokia, and 4 much milder peppers.
http://flowerstore.g...seeds-c-16.html

You might also see if anyone in the Forum Ads subforum has any seeds they are willing to give, sell, or trade for. I would think that international postage is under $5 for a large envelope but I am not sure if that is true today.
http://thehotpepper.com/forum/18-forum-ads/

I'm pretty sure seeds aren't that big a deal to ship to other countries. Usually it's the fresh stuff they have a prob. With. You can hi up Balac (user here) he has these small bubble protected seed bags that fit in a regular sized envelope. Regular letters rarely get questioned an it's cheaper to send! His baggies are cheap too. If you ask he might give you some free samples to try, if you send me one, I will send you an assortment of seeds. (If you want my list PM me, I've got over 100 varieties burning a hole in my drawer)

Good luck.

pepperjim, I have to send out a bunch of seeds/pods tomorrow. I prefer FedEx. I will ask what it costs to get seeds to you in a bubble envelope, and what the odds are that you will actually get them. All I ask in return is pictures of the plants and pods if all goes well. I have orange and red habanero. This year red dominates and I have already given away over 300 pods. I have dried about half of that for powder. Habs are very prolific. Weeds, if you can get them to germinate! I'll also send some others too. PM me your address please.

Grow on noob! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh yeah, why have you not eaten a hab yet? Git 'er dun! Let us know how it is!

Being new has its fallbacks here. Soon you will learn. Just dig in to all of the glogs and you will find more information than you can handle. I love habs and I do not have a stick up me arse, so if you have questions, I'd be happy to share my limited experience with you. Habs were my favorite, until I ate a Fatalii. 10 days is nothing. Wait them out. You willknow when they are screaming to be picked of the stay orange.

DO NOT BUY FROM EBAY! Not just because most of the seed sellers are shucksters, but also because they are an evil corporate monopoly!

I cannot speak for sellers here, so you may want to check Burpee and see if they ship to you. They have a good starter selection. PM me your address and I will see what I can do to get some seeds to you. I never sent anything to Greece.

Following the thread. Good luck with the habs! Careful with the eye roll emoticons... :rolleyes: :party: ;)
Oh,I have just realized where was the confusion.In my emoticon.
I did not know that this emoticon means something like that.I am sorry.

10 days is not very long, they could easily stay orange for that long before turning red if they are red habs, BUT if this is the case they usually aren't such a uniform and equal color so I do think you have orange habs.

I don't know of a good place to buy seed in Greece but the following looks like less of a risk than eBay, but they don't have red habs, only orange habs, Bhut Jolokia, and 4 much milder peppers.
http://flowerstore.g...seeds-c-16.html

You might also see if anyone in the Forum Ads subforum has any seeds they are willing to give, sell, or trade for. I would think that international postage is under $5 for a large envelope but I am not sure if that is true today.
http://thehotpepper....m/18-forum-ads/
I will wait more days to see if they turn into red.
This is the e-shop that I bought my hot peppers' seeds.Also,I bought 20 jalapeno seeds and only one germinates.

I'm pretty sure seeds aren't that big a deal to ship to other countries. Usually it's the fresh stuff they have a prob. With. You can hi up Balac (user here) he has these small bubble protected seed bags that fit in a regular sized envelope. Regular letters rarely get questioned an it's cheaper to send! His baggies are cheap too. If you ask he might give you some free samples to try, if you send me one, I will send you an assortment of seeds. (If you want my list PM me, I've got over 100 varieties burning a hole in my drawer)

Good luck.
I know that it is not a big deal to ship to other countries,but I was in a hurry because I was in the last month that I could plant them.
Are these bags necessary for shipping seeds?
I will send you a pm.
Thank you.

pepperjim, I have to send out a bunch of seeds/pods tomorrow. I prefer FedEx. I will ask what it costs to get seeds to you in a bubble envelope, and what the odds are that you will actually get them. All I ask in return is pictures of the plants and pods if all goes well. I have orange and red habanero. This year red dominates and I have already given away over 300 pods. I have dried about half of that for powder. Habs are very prolific. Weeds, if you can get them to germinate! I'll also send some others too. PM me your address please.

Grow on noob! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh yeah, why have you not eaten a hab yet? Git 'er dun! Let us know how it is!
That would be nice.
But the planting season here is from April and then.
If you dont have problem with this,ok.

The only reason that I have not eaten a hab yet,is that I dont know how.
I want a way of tasting them,without drying them.
Thay are too hot to play with them. :P

Take a knife, cut a small slice, put slice in pie hole. Chew, swallow, enjoy the fire in the belly! DUH. Getting seeds to you now that you will grow in April isn't a bad thing. Seeds last for a couple of YEARS if stored properly, and April isn't that far away.

It's your call. Any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. And I don't really care about emoticons. :rolleyes:

The seeds are in your court.

Why are you growing them then? Take a nick off the pod, away from the stem end, and let it rip! I started with habs and now am on Fatalii and hotter. Yeah, they sting like wasps in your mouth, but you gain tolerance and you gain a taste for them.

And don't you dare roll those eyes at me again newbie! :rolleyes:

Back