• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Problem with my peps.

Ok ladies and gents, here's my problem. Several of my plants are wilted and/or have yellow leaves. Here are the particulars.

I have two shelves - one with 8 bulb T5 systems for each shelf; one at the window.

I recently transplanted all of them to 3" pots... 2 parts worm castings, 2 parts sand, 1 part peat, 1 part perlite.

The plants in the windows are doing great. The ones under the lights are having mixed results.

Most of the wilting plants still have some moisture at the bottom of their pots. My wife just informed me they were watered yesterday.

Worried that the lights may be too hot, I had my wife turn half of the lights off.
I'm holding off on having her give nutes (only one we have in the house is a .002 - .001 - .01) until we know for sure they aren't getting overfed from the castings.
I was going to have her give them some water, as between the sand and the lights, water goes like that. Like I said, some have water in the bottom, but some are a bit damp. I'm worried about the water in the bottom, because some of the transplants had shallow roots.
More plants have started wilting/yellowing/dropping leaves since this morning, when my wife discovered around 3 doing it.
Appreciate any help.

Sorry I'm not able to give pics, as I'm on the road.

are they regular t5 or HO ones?  if they're HO then you probably do have them too close to the light.  try sticking the affected ones in the window for a few days, you'd be amazed at what natural light can do

tctenten said:
How close do you have the t5's to the tops of your plants? If I keep mine to close, they do not do well.

Top shelf is 5", 2nd and 3rd are around 9". Most of the damage is on the 2nd shelf.

Helvete said:
are they regular t5 or HO ones?  if they're HO then you probably do have them too close to the light.  try sticking the affected ones in the window for a few days, you'd be amazed at what natural light can do

The blues are not, the reds are. We have 7 blues and 1 red in each. I was thinking the same thing... switching them around, and see how they do for a few days.

I'm assuming the worm castings are enough nutes for the time being?

Hey guys. They ended up under watered. The ones that didn't die perked right up after they were watered.

Now we know; and knowing is half the battle. GI Joe!

Thanx for your help.

Danger Will Robinson!!!

I suspect an error in my soil mix. 1/3 of it is sand. Too much drainage is causing my plants to wilt and die without ample warning. Next time, instead of 2x sand, 1x peat, I'll try 2x peat, 1x sand.

Back