• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Problem with my Rocotos

SavinaRed said:
I'm doing an experiment. I just planted 2 seedlings that are between 4-6 inches in the ground at a place that gets 70-80 % shade. My other 2 plants I'm leaving in containers and will move them around where they will get only morning sun and noon through late afternoon shade.
You may be on to sumpin.  It should be cooler if rootball was six inches down in mother earth vs a pot above ground.   Definitely hotter above ground ... Maybe I should have transplanted my 1 & 1/2 foot potted pubes into a shady earthy yard hole.  Sumpin to think about  next time.. :surprised:

Spicy Mushroom said:

Here in Sactown we get consistent 100+ summer temps. My Pubecens plant definitely needed shade/cooler temps to thrive but it didn't die. Its been outside since a seedling and it's now two years old. Was yours in pots? Mine was in a large raised bed with 40% shade cloth. It could be the variety too. I bought the Giant Mexican Rocoto from Pepper Lover. Perhaps give that specific variety a shot in a bed or large pot..

Mine were in pots.  Maybe a cooler mother earth would be better for my locale.  Hmmmmmm...  :confused:

Definitely. I wouldn't attempt it in anything under 5 gallon personally. *Obviously not a black pot either. I use 5-6 gallon white buckets for my pots (recycled from pool usage).

ideally I think Earth, raised bed with good depth, or even larger pots.

Spicy Mushroom said:

Here in Sactown we get consistent 100+ summer temps. My Pubecens plant definitely needed shade/cooler temps to thrive but it didn't die. Its been outside since a seedling and it's now two years old. Was yours in pots? Mine was in a large raised bed with 40% shade cloth. It could be the variety too. I bought the Giant Mexican Rocoto from Pepper Lover. Perhaps give that specific variety a shot in a bed or large pot..

Any varieties in your experience that do better than others in full sun scenarios? 
I grew your basic rocotos and manzanos yellow and orange. I have gotten some interesting varieties of the seed train that I would really like to grow soon.

Spicy Mushroom said:
Definitely. I wouldn't attempt it in anything under 5 gallon personally. *Obviously not a black pot either. I use 5-6 gallon white buckets for my pots (recycled from pool usage).

ideally I think Earth, raised bed with good depth, or even larger pots.
I'm going to transplant my 2 in 3 gal into 15 Gallon containers this weekend.

MonoJoker said:
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with my rocotos I planted earlier this year. One I grew from seed the other was purchased as a 30cm tall tube stock. Both had been growing really well until recently when the seedling began to yellow and drop it's leaves. Eventually it turned brown altogether and died. Now the other purchased plant is doing the same - leaves turning yellow and falling off. Although it has some thick new growth back down below the bare twigs. I prepared the soil with blood & bone prior to planting down to a depth of approx 20cm. It gets watered daily as daytime temps are still 30 degrees C here. Any ideas on what's wrong and how I can save it before it's too late? Thanks.

Pic from 1-2 weeks ago:

http://imgur.com/lrGbtMd

And tonight shows dead/bare twigs and the new green growth:

http://imgur.com/jugPSkZ

http://imgur.com/nOwR2bF

What do your plants look like now...

socalpepperfarm said:
What do your plants look like now...

MnoJoker hasn't been here since their post.

monojoker_zpsp2ngeean.jpg

Back