• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic Problem with Peppers in Hydroponics

mitchNC said:

The LED panel I bough starting out was too bright to look at, but the actual lumens spec was terrible.  It was a fellow hydro guy that looked up the specs and drew it to my attention.

When it comes to buying LED, it's not just the lumens that count.  A good LED light gets down into the UV spectrum - not just the visible spectrum.

Not all magenta colored lights are UV. 

Of course, you don't want to spend time around those lights, and you won't want to go into your growroom without glasses...  

mitchNC said:
Just asking about the lights because I personally had problems with them.

Really hard to see with the purple light.
Can you provide pics without them?

Looks like a deficiency but hard to tell.
Someone else mentioned lockout.

What nutes do you use?
Do you supplement Epsom salts for Mg?
I'll have to take another look at my spectrum and make sure it lines up with what the peppers need.  

I used epsom off and on in my outdoor peppers, but never really saw a difference.  I use GH MaxiGrow and switch to a 1/2 MaxiGrow 1/2 MaxiBloom mixture when the fruits arrive.  I would assume the lockout problem would be fixed with a full water exchange.

mitchNC said:
Just to add some info, for my 25 gallon res I use 40 grams of 4-18-38 hydro fertilizer, 2 TBS each of Epsom and calcium nitrate (15-0-0).

This gives me about 750 ppm and I scale accordingly for what I'm growing. I've been doing this consistently for about 3 years and grow ten foot plants. That's how I learned about indeterminate tomatoes. Lol

I believe peppers like 800-1100 ppm.

I'd love for you to solve this... Learning for everyone. Hydro is awesome!
Will definitely throw in some epsom, to cover all my bases.  I've heard the peps like the high PPM too, but am currently aiming to come back down to 600-800 for relatively mature plants.  I don't have any rationale for it, just think I'm locking something out at 1000-1200 PPM.  If they spruce up after a certain change, I'll throw it on here.

willard3 said:
In aeroponics, I keep nutrient concentration between 400 and 600 ppm, Ph 6.5. This has worked for years.

Post fotos with normal light; the purple light is not helpful.
I don't know enough about the differences in Aero vs Hydro DWC for nutrients PPM.  This is making me think I've got to read a textbook somewhere.  I know everyone has their own magical KoolAid. Will throw on some photos of the problematic batch.  

timegoat said:
I have a tiny bit of experience with aerogarden peppers and no experience with hydro, but what I can say is, What starts in the Aerogarden, stays in the Aerogarden. I've had no good results starting seeds in an Aero and then transplanting them to dirt. I don't know if that translates to hydro or not but it might.
I've got to say I've had outstanding results transplanting herbs and tomatoes from my Aerogarden to both soil and to my own hydroponics setup... those tomatoes will grow like weeds.  But the proprietary Aerogarden nutes are phenomenal.

mitchNC said:

Depends.  HID lights don't have to be close to the plants, they're like a little sun.
So you can grow seedlings to mature plants and every stage in between.

I grew 16 5-gallon buckets under one bulb.  Grew lots of food for my family for less than a dollar a day.
But that was 3 years ago.  If LED panels have progressed I would  definitely like to look into them.
In a grid-down situation with solar panels (yep, I'm one of those) watts count!  :)

The LED panel I bough starting out was too bright to look at, but the actual lumens spec was terrible.  It was a fellow hydro guy that looked up the specs and drew it to my attention.

But anyway, if lights aren't the issue I hope we get your problem solved.
Your plants look crispy.  
I've definitely got a long way to go learning about my own LED setup.  I thought I crunched all the numbers initially, but I'll take another look 

Here are the lights-off photos, new growth is really starting to look like hell; fruits are falling off.

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpg
    IMG_2732.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 85
Yikes.  That's looking sad.  That looks like total shutdown. (as there are symptoms of multiple deficiencies - which probably aren't really deficient)  Picture of the roots?
I don't know the specifics of your nutes, but have you already started to back off of grow, in favor of bloom?
We always get this "grow" and "bloom" rigamaroll shoved down our throats, but it's SO unnecessary.  One fertilizer is all that you need for an entire grow. (unless you can come up with a VERY specific reason to the contrary)  Do you plan to give some other nutes a try? (a good one part with calcium, and you can ditch all the mixing, and extras - like Epsom salt)
The aeroponics nutrient ratios are typically lower than normal hydro.  Normally, when I was growing in hydro, I liked to keep my solution at the low end of full dosage for the "vegetative" recommendation, once it was big enough to safely take full strength nutes.

CWoodard said:
I've got to say I've had outstanding results transplanting herbs and tomatoes from my Aerogarden to both soil and to my own hydroponics setup... those tomatoes will grow like weeds.  But the proprietary Aerogarden nutes are phenomenal.

There's no magic in the nutrients. They either have what the plants need, or they don't.
But the nutes you are using in your problematic setup, are known to have issues... (Google tells all)  While you will get many people chiming in that they work just fine, there are just as many people who experience a full reversal of their misfortune when they switch.  Just saying...
I had plants that looked like this.  They went from amazing to shit in a matter of days.  I lost several plants.  When I switched nutrients, and made no other change, I had no more issue.

Hydro is so sensitive.  My neighbor replicated my lettuce setup exactly and couldn't grow anything.
Turned out her well water was just a little harder than mine.  As soon as they filtered it everything started growing.

mitchNC said:
Hydro is so sensitive.  My neighbor replicated my lettuce setup exactly and couldn't grow anything.
Turned out her well water was just a little harder than mine.  As soon as they filtered it everything started growing.

But filtering doesn't change the hardness of water...  

Back