• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Processing Mash

[SIZE=medium]Quick question. I have a couple pounds of some Red Habaneros that are going to be my first attempt at fermenting peppers (I’ve done sauerkraut & kombucha). In preparing the mash, should I process or puree, or can I just do a rough chop? Will the end product be different (I have a food mill)?  Also, does it matter if the mash is cooked or raw before the ferment? Thanks.[/SIZE]

Rough chop is fine, medium chop is better. I use a food processor and break it down to small pieces, but not paste. I have found that too large of pieces take longer to break down in the ferment and don't start as quickly.

ETA: and DON'T COOK!  :P

Yep, What JMN and Hawaiianero said!

smaller pieces will ferment faster or more evenly (?? does that make sense?)  Larger pieces will take longer for the fermentation process to get to all of the vegetable matter.  Like Pickling, It takes longer for the vinegar to get all the way to the middle of a whole cuke than with spears.  That's also why it is suggested that when pickling whole chiles, poke a small hole in the pod so the vinegar can get to the inside of the pod as well as the outside. 

Same principle with fermenting.  The fermentation bugs have to get into and through all the flesh.  If you have large pieces and process too soon, not all of the flesh will be properly fermented. 

Won't be a problem if the fermentation is cooked. 

Back