• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Promix HP preparation question

I have heard it is a good idea to add some organics ie manure/ worm castings etc to promix for growing in pots. How far before using it to transplant should this be done and what are some methods of doing this. I split a 3.8cu bale into three garbage bags for now and have worm castings and horse/chicken manure waiting. I hear its a good idea to increase the micro-organism population prior to transplanting ie creating live soil.

don't use horse poopie.. Chicken poopie is ok, outings super hot. Don't use it if its fresh! You are right tho, you need to inoculate promix.

horse poop needs to be several years old. Its mean stuff if its too young. Horse manure is full of weeds and humus foliage, and it can make plants get too tall, and the plant will practically fall over because it can't support how top heavy it will be.

don't use horse poopie.. Chicken poopie is ok, outings super hot. Don't use it if its fresh! You are right tho, you need to inoculate promix.

horse poop needs to be several years old. Its mean stuff if its too young. Horse manure is full of weeds and humus foliage, and it can make plants get too tall, and the plant will practically fall over because it can't support how top heavy it will be.

http://www.nincompoop.info/premiumCompost.php This is the compost product I have a couple bags of. The company itself told me the poop is well aged so it shouldnt be a problem from that end at least.

Should I wet the promix/compost/casting mix and let it sit? Or would that create mold

you can mix it, and let it sit.... mold shouldn't be an issue unless you soak the crap out of it.

if you do that (let it sit) I would pour a can of coke in it before you ,ix it all up(NOT diet coke). That will start feeding the microbial colonies.

or a can of beer will do the same thing

you can mix it, and let it sit.... mold shouldn't be an issue unless you soak the crap out of it.

if you do that (let it sit) I would pour a can of coke in it before you ,ix it all up(NOT diet coke). That will start feeding the microbial colonies.

or a can of beer will do the same thing

Thanks for the tip. Ill do that today

What about adding free compost that's made by our local government agency from the green bin / food or wet waste (call it what u want) but its great for my lawn over the years. When the place opens there are line ups and I get the stuff home , dump it and emits steam ? Will the PROMIX tame it down or is it too new for peppers ?

My pro-mix HP says it has been inoculated right on the label. I havent added any compost to my pots, but I can't see it hurting anything.

Thinking it won't. PM Is club neutral as far as food for the children is concerned. In fact starting to wondering why I even bought it. Then again , I can't compare to and actual soil with food. Up here we are just now starting to see "real" soil now at the nurseries etc ?

Back