• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning Propagated Reaper Question

Hey guys so I just had a quick question about this reaper clipping I’m trying to propagate…It’s been in some water for roughly a week and a half and has grown some roots, and now it’s looking kinda droopy. (pics below) Are these roots grown enough to go ahead and put the plant in some soil, or should I wait a little longer? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 24
I should have elaborated my reply a bit more... I would wait until the cutting has formed some roots, which for my climate conditions and way of working is typically after about 4-6 weeks (for peppers). I always remove most of the leaves, especially the older and/or larger ones.

If working with cuttings (in general, not only peppers), it is usually best to remove most if not all of the leaves. Transpiration (evaporation of water from the plant) occurs mainly at the leaves, so a large leaf area means more transpiration. Because cuttings lack a root system, they loose more water than they can take up if they have large and/or many leaves. Therefore, I believe, your cutting looks "droopy", "underwatered" (irony at its best). The cutting will produce new growth once it has roots.

Thanks f
I should have elaborated my reply a bit more... I would wait until the cutting has formed some roots, which for my climate conditions and way of working is typically after about 4-6 weeks (for peppers). I always remove most of the leaves, especially the older and/or larger ones.

If working with cuttings (in general, not only peppers), it is usually best to remove most if not all of the leaves. Transpiration (evaporation of water from the plant) occurs mainly at the leaves, so a large leaf area means more transpiration. Because cuttings lack a root system, they loose more water than they can take up if they have large and/or many leaves. Therefore, I believe, your cutting looks "droopy", "underwatered" (irony at its best). The cutting will produce new growth once it

If working with cuttings (in general, not only peppers), it is usually best to remove most if not all of the leaves. Transpiration (evaporation of water from the plant) occurs mainly at the leaves, so a large leaf area means more transpiration. Because cuttings lack a root system, they loose more water than they can take up if they have large and/or many leaves. Therefore, I believe, your cutting looks "droopy", "underwatered" (irony at its best). The cutting will produce new growth once it has roots.

I did take your suggestion and cut most of the leaves off. I left 3 small one so I’m thinking it should be fine. Thanks for the info.

Back