• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Prostrate Cancer and Capsicum

PrairieChilihead said:
This is a very serious thread. Is there any word on if the "form" of the pepper matters? I am wondering if dehydrated/ground up pepper is as effective as fresh. And what about peppers cooked into sauces? Or pickled? During the winter, most of the pepper I consume is in the form of powder I shake onto food. Am I still being protected?
From what I get reading, it sounds like it's the chemical "capsicum" that causes the cancer cells problems. I'm not sure if processing does anything to that chemical or not. I'll post it if I find more about it.

There's some very good info in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin - regarding Capsaicin's positive effects. Some Excerpts: Capsaicin is being explored as a possible cure for Type 1 diabetes by researchers in Toronto, Canada; capsaicin was injected into pancreatic sensory nerves of mice with Type 1 diabetes because of a suspected link between the nerves and diabetes. also: The American Association for Cancer Research reports studies suggesting capsaicin is able to kill prostate cancer cells by causing them to undergo apoptosis. The studies were performed on tumors formed by human prostate cancer cell cultures grown in mouse models, and showed tumors treated with capsaicin were about one-fifth the size of the untreated tumors. It has long been noted that in Thailand, where much spicy food is consumed, there is very low incidence of gastrointestinal cancers, including colorectal and stomach cancers, compared to the rest of Asia, including Japan and China. Mexico also has low rates of the same cancers compared to the USA. Several recent studies have shown that capsaicin may actually prevent the growth of certain types of cancer.[citation needed] In particular, there have been several clinical studies conducted in Japan and China that showed natural capsaicin directly inhibits the growth of leukemic cells.[15] Although these studies used pure capsaicin directly injected into isolated diseased cells in a laboratory setting, scientists have also concluded that daily consumption of hot peppers (thus capsaicin) may actually prevent certain types of cancer. Throughout South America, intestinal, stomach, and colon cancer rates are very low compared to the United States. Another study carried out at the University of Nottingham suggests capsaicin is able to trigger apoptosis in human lung cancer cells as well.

Capsaicin is also the key ingredient in the experimental drug Adlea, which is in Phase 2 trials as a long-acting analgesic to treat post-surgical and osteoarthritis pain for weeks to months after a single injection to the site of pain.

Nice to eat something that should actually be good for you.

Finally, someth

NatGreenMeds said:
From what I get reading, it sounds like it's the chemical "capsicum" that causes the cancer cells problems. I'm not sure if processing does anything to that chemical or not. I'll post it if I find more about it.

According to the medical/pharmacological nomenclature "capsicum" stands for the product made of capsicum plants. In Germany the usually used variety is Cayenne. So the contents of "Capsicum" is the variety-specific mix of capsaicinoids. Most of them are said to be stable to cooking or freezing.

just got an email from a dude whom actually has prostate cancer, here check this shit out, totally cool

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:44:51 EST [02/22/2009 01:44:51 EST]
To: hippyseeds@comcen.com.au
Subject: hello to Neil

In July of last year I had a PSA test and the level was way too high so I had a biopsy and sure enough...Prostate Cancer. Well I went in and they wanted to cut out my prostate give me radiation and all sorts of things and along came this idea of using Habaneros on this crazy website. http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-Cured...r-Less-Than-The-Cost-Of-A-Night-At-The-Movies

The whole protocol is spelled out for free right there but I did buy Kelly's book as a way of thanking him because on November the 14th after 2 weeks of one habanero a day prepared exactly the way he describes on the web blog my new reading was 3.8 just inside the max of 4 to be normal. I have continued each day having one or two habs that way and my new PSA test two weeks ago was down to 3.1.

My urologist at Kaiser Permanente is freaking of course and we are doing another biopsy on March 2. I am hoping and praying that the habs have not masked a still existing condition but in fact have created an environment in my body that cancer cannot live in.

I just finished seeing your video on the savina habanero consumption and I must say...never ever wipe your eyes with a hand that touched the hab...bad idea. Today I chopped my two little angels up with three huge cloves of elephant garlic and mixed it with some quark and downed it. when it had come on to the fullest extent I then take an ice cube and suck on it to put out the fire..I sweat and it is such a healthful feeling as I know that the cancer is freaking out. You can see my entire story on kelly's site by going there and on a PC hit control and F at the same time and type in Chuck and hit enter after putting the cursor on the article and it will take you close to the bottom on my entry.

See yah,
Chuck

yay Habanero's,, now to get him growing Naga's and see what happens :D

that's wonderful news....and one of the reasons I starting eating hot peppers/products every meal...kind of a preventive measure...

To the guy who has prostate cancer, go for either having it removed or the seed implantation. My father had it and because of scar tissue from a hernia operation years ago they couldn't remove it, but the seed implantation killed the cancer and he is fine. The hab theory is nice but don't bet your life on it.

Caustic Casey said:
So I shouldn't be alarmed when I see butt blood?

That would not involve your prostate, it would involve your intestinal tract. And, yes, you should be concerned.

Hippy thanks for sharing that and I sure hope the guy follows up with you on the results of the second biopsy.

CC I agree with Pam, seeing your own blood usually indicates something isn't quite right. If it was me and I was unsure of the cause I'd head to the doc's and get things checked. Best of luck to you man.

seems that peppers are a good thing to be eating!! Great thread...lots of info...Good luck to the person who posted about having the cancer!! Hope all goes well for you.

and for seeing blood when you go to the bathroom...good chance of hemroids or polips (?sp?)

Sorry for being vague...
Yes, it's never an ongoing thing, and there is never much blood... it's not seen in the toiley, just on the tissue...
Nobody here has experienced this after eating something extremely hot like habanero chile or the like?
I have spoken to other people who have eaten some of my crazy concoctions and they experienced it, too.
Although I do not suffer the symptoms of piles, luckily, i have read they can occur inside of the colon and cause no discomfort.

The rule of thumb is if the blood is bright red it's probably hemorrhoids or something lower - blackish dark and it's way up int he digestive tract.

This is why people should get colonoscopy screenings to be sure. My father gets one every 2 years and they found a polyp in his colon wall near his liver. They couldn't snip it so he needed an operation to remove that colon section. Now he's fine. Same guy who had prostate cancer and the seed implantation. Tests save lives. Early surgery saves lives. Get tested!!

NatGreenMeds said:
For you guys out there, this is a real problem with a solution all of us here should like to do with no problem.

I suggested this group to another forum I belong to, where a discussion of Prostrate Cancer was started. We might see some of them here soon.

The scientific testing is real. The problem is real and the solution is easy:

-start of articles-

"Capsaicin had a profound anti-proliferative effect on human prostate cancer cells in culture," said Sören Lehmann, M.D., Ph.D., visiting scientist at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and the UCLA School of Medicine. "It also dramatically slowed the development of prostate tumors formed by those human cell lines grown in mouse models."
Lehmann estimated that the dose of pepper extract fed orally to the mice was equivalent to giving 400 milligrams of capsaicin three times a week to a 200 pound man, roughly equivalent to between three and eight fresh habañera peppers - depending on the pepper's capsaicin content.
Hot Pepper Ingredient Capsaicin Kills Prostate Cancer Cells

-second article-

According to a study published in the March 2006 issue of Cancer Research, capsicum helps halt prostrate cancer spread. Capsaicin probably has a certain positive consequence, the study concluded. Most important seems to be blocking NF-kappa Beta effect, a molecular mechanism that promotes cancer cell growth.
Capsicum it's a pepper and capsaicin is the ingredient that makes them hot.
Prostate Cancer Cells Killed by Capsicum

I read a study a long time ago that mentioned how capaicin helped to prevent prostate cancer. Luckily for me I realized I eat quite a bit of it...lol!! I believe in these types of studies too. Turns out peppers are starting to get a good rap now in the medical world and I've loved them for a few years. Glad I have the habit...lol!! Honestly I think they are one of the few miracle foods.

P.S.- Just an observation. I've been eating them for a long time and I noticed I bleed more now. Wonder if it's kind of like taking aspirin. I'm a metal fabricator and I cut myself on my hands naturally every now and then. If it's a minor cut I bleed pretty good. I thought it could thin you're blood to from what I heard. Is there truth to that one too. I noticed this one myself.

I have noticed the same thing about bleeding more Rabbit, i always bang my hands up at work and if the affected area isn't bandaged or band aided i noticed it bleeds more than before i started quaffing chilli products.

It may be an age factor thing though.

well Some GOOOD News, Chuck got Back to me with his results

:D

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 01:17:01 EST [03/06/2009 17:17:01 EST]
To: hippyseeds@comcen.com.au
Subject: biopsy results
Hello Neil,

My urologist called this morning with the results of my new biopsy, post habanero/garlic daily protocol.

8 core samples were extracted from my prostate on monday. No evidence whatsoever of any malignancy or cancer whatsoever. My follow up appointment is for the first week in August 2009 for a PSA blood draw.

He and his nurse are completely blown away. They have never seen anything like this. I would like some of your seeds. Is there any problem with shipping to the USA? I can paypal you the $. Please send me links to all of your youtube videos. I think you are totally tits in them.

Chuck

Hey Caustic, a while ago a similar thing occured. i freaked as doing what i do, thought my insides was melted or something and yes, wasn't in the bowl just on Paper, and Only occasionally for a few Days, then go, and come back at some later.. So after a being nagged, went to the Dr.. Now my Usual Dr was on Holidays so i rock into some weird dude that have to tell bout my Arse "ok , pants down on table" Oh Shit.......

on with Glove and im thinking "Oh No" BUT just as Dr Jelly Finger is about to dig in, "Oh thats ok , its a Fissure" WTF is that ? i forget, something bout being a tight arse and theres a tear or shit like that and thats why it it occas plays up..

so after thinking "im Dieing" a lil trip to the Dr and no more Worry, so go and get checked.. mabbe something simple and nothing to worry bout

I agree with Hippy, go to the Dr and get checked out. Several years ago I sat and when finished the bowl had enough blood in it that it looked like someone killed a chicken. Naturally I freaked (which is an understatement, us men are not suppose to bleed when going). I went to the Dr and had a full line of tests done, Upper GI and Lower both scoped. What he found was hemorrhoids, which causes bright red blood when they pop. He also found a Hiatle(sp) Hernia and the makings of an ulcer. Put me on Nexium and haven't had any issues with the upper since. As for the blood, he advised to start taking a fiber supplement and that seems to have work great. He also told me the same thing about the color of the blood. If it is very dark and looks like coffee grounds, there is something (possibly serious) going on further up. If it is bright red it's lower.

I have since had another set of tests done because it was time and the doctor was able to fix the Hemorrhoids using a painless method with Infra Red Light, I think, it was some kind of painless light. It was definitely not like the old days.

Back