• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Protecting outdoor plants from the elements

I am a new grower this year with a crop that, so far, I have not managed to kill off thanks to the wealth of knowledge located here on thehotpepper. 

I made the mistake of not staking my plants and a few of my best growing plants were toppled by the first healthy summer storm. I am going to stake up my remaining plants.

Questions: Do I need to worry about destroying roots while putting stakes in the ground near big plants? How do I tie off plants to the stakes so they still have some room to grow inbetween adjustments?

Also, I might be receiving strong winds with possible hail later today and this week. How do you all protect in ground plants from things like that? Should I rig up some sort of overhead cover for during the storm?  

putting stakes in shouldnt bother the plants to much, as for  tying them off, use some twist ties and loosely tie the plant to the stake, put a finger or two in with the plant and stake and twist the tie around that, this way its tied but loose so they can sway and build up their stems and still have lots of room to grow. as for covering them i use clear trash bags, i put 4 stakes around the plant then put the trash bag over it, this way it still gets the light and it makes it like a mini greenhouse. this is what i do anyway, some one else might have a better idea idk? 

edit: welcome to the site, you should also post a "HEY WHATS UP" in the welcome section

welcome aboard. I've learned so much from this site in one season! A lot of generous sharing of info.  Yeah, you will hurt some roots. The packs of bamboo stakes are thin and do less damage but you'll need 2 or 3 around the plant.

A simple hoophouse is a great way to control the elements. I guess depending how frequent your storms are. They stand up to CT strong summer thunder storms so far.

I drive 2 foot rebar pieces into the ground and slip 3/4 " pvc over them, bend to form each hoop (a 10' section per hoop works well until the plants get too big)

Obviously, cover with plastic when needed. Using a staple gun I attached a 1x2 or 2x2 to the long ends of the plastic for weight and they help when rolling the plastic for temperature control.

(The above pic shows the plastic off during July)

Valleyman said:
welcome aboard. I've learned so much from this site in one season! A lot of generous sharing of info.  Yeah, you will hurt some roots. The packs of bamboo stakes are thin and do less damage but you'll need 2 or 3 around the plant.

A simple hoophouse is a great way to control the elements. I guess depending how frequent your storms are. They stand up to CT strong summer thunder storms so far.

I drive 2 foot rebar pieces into the ground and slip 3/4 " pvc over them, bend to form each hoop (a 10' section per hoop works well until the plants get too big)

Obviously, cover with plastic when needed. Using a staple gun I attached a 1x2 or 2x2 to the long ends of the plastic for weight and they help when rolling the plastic for temperature control.

there ya go thats a better idea then my trash bags lol  
i think i might start doing this from now on, thanks valleyman

magicpepper said:
putting stakes in shouldnt bother the plants to much, as for  tying them off, use some twist ties and loosely tie the plant to the stake, put a finger or two in with the plant and stake and twist the tie around that, this way its tied but loose so they can sway and build up their stems and still have lots of room to grow. as for covering them i use clear trash bags, i put 4 stakes around the plant then put the trash bag over it, this way it still gets the light and it makes it like a mini greenhouse. this is what i do anyway, some one else might have a better idea idk? 

edit: welcome to the site, you should also post a "HEY WHATS UP" in the welcome section

Thanks for the welcome and advice on tie offs. I will follow that method later today.

Valleyman said:

Thanks for the welcome and wow, what a great setup. Bonus points for requiring minimal construction. Even I should be able to rig that up. I will be picking rebar and pvc after work today. Really appreciate the idea. Looks great. 

Valleyman said:
Anytime man,
I had to add extensions on for the late season. Below pics show what I did. Not pretty but did the job.

How long does this extend your growing season in the fall?

Between the hoop house and remay fabric, the plants survived a few frosts. I think I went into early November last season. 

Forecast is for on/off rain until Saturday AM up here and its cool so I'll be setting it up after work tonight to protect this years younglings.

Good luck with the grow this year!

Yeah yeah, we wish we all can be in sunny California with gentle breezes and long warm days filled with sunshine!  ;)

Please thank your son for his service to our country, and thank you too. Being a dad myself I can only imagine what its like for you.

Vaal42 said:
Questions: Do I need to worry about destroying roots while putting stakes in the ground near big plants? How do I tie off plants to the stakes so they still have some room to grow inbetween adjustments?

Also, I might be receiving strong winds with possible hail later today and this week. How do you all protect in ground plants from things like that? Should I rig up some sort of overhead cover for during the storm?  

No worries about harm from stakes, just put them at least 3" away from the stalk to avoid the  highest density portion of the root ball.  Tie them off loosely.  I use plain twine.

Weather usually rolls through in a particular direction.  Put the stakes on the side of the plant that the weather comes from so with the same amount of slack in what you tie them up with, they have less room to bend in the wind.  If your local obstructions, hills, fences, homes, whatever, cause wind to swirl in multiple directions then you can use two or more stakes equally spaced around plants.  Multiple stakes also help if you expect high yield plants where there are so many peppers that the branches eventually need tied up to support themselves, are bowing down a lot before the pods are ripe.

Does your area frequently suffer hail damage to roofs, cars, etc?  If not then I wouldn't bother with a protective cover.  If so then the PCV hoop setup looks like a great option and a great place to chill and have a beer during a summer storm.

Dave2000 said:

No worries about harm from stakes, just put them at least 3" away from the stalk to avoid the  highest density portion of the root ball.  Tie them off loosely.  I use plain twine.

Weather usually rolls through in a particular direction.  Put the stakes on the side of the plant that the weather comes from so with the same amount of slack in what you tie them up with, they have less room to bend in the wind.  If your local obstructions, hills, fences, homes, whatever, cause wind to swirl in multiple directions then you can use two or more stakes equally spaced around plants.  Multiple stakes also help if you expect high yield plants where there are so many peppers that the branches eventually need tied up to support themselves, are bowing down a lot before the pods are ripe.

Does your area frequently suffer hail damage to roofs, cars, etc?  If not then I wouldn't bother with a protective cover.  If so then the PCV hoop setup looks like a great option and a great place to chill and have a beer during a summer storm.

We rarely ever get hail and didn't get any yesterday. That was just a freak occurrence predicted early in the AM on the weather channel. 

Whoops. I staked mine like 1.5-2" away from the stem. Live and learn. I'll stake further out next time.

Back