• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Prunning to bring on / Ripen Chillis

Hi All,

Just wondering if prunning can help bring on my chilli fruits, We have had a frustrating / Cold Summer here in Victoria (Australia). I was tbhinking maybe pruning branches to help open up the plants to let more light in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Aus \m/

Too much fert will slow produce. If you have super healthly plants and no produce or flowers falling off than it's probally the ferts.

You could pick them when they're 50% through the color change to their ripe color, which should allow the remaining chiles to ripen a bit more quickly since the plant can focus more energy on them. Keep the 50% ripened ones in a paper bag and they will fully ripen in about a week.

I would say to throw a banana in there for some ethylene to speed up the ripening but apparently it is a bad idea with chiles because ethylene softens the fruit.

According to this link: http://libnts.avrdc.org.tw/fulltext_pdf/FLYER/f0006.pdf , the best way to ripen chiles after they're picked is to store them at about room temperature with relative humidity > 95%. So maybe a plastic bag might work better. Hmm...

Back