• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Pumpkins 2015

I'm only growing the Rouge Vif d'Etampes (French heirloom) and Brixner Rote (South Tirol heirloom)  for the taste both are very similar pumpkins (or squash?). We don't make a difference between those two. I actually think that the Brixner Rote ("Red one from the Brixen area") is a Vif d'Etampes that lead it's own life for the last 100 years, resulting in a similar tasting but smaller pumpkin.

I also grow some carving pumpkins as I now live in an area that actually celebrates Halloween (didn't know that.. ) It's rare here in Europe, they just start it as a fun thing for the children.. It's really native to the US though. I purchased some "Mammoth Gold" seeds for this.. hope these will do?

Pfeffer said:
I'm only growing the Rouge Vif d'Etampes (French heirloom) and Brixner Rote (South Tirol heirloom)  for the taste both are very similar pumpkins (or squash?). We don't make a difference between those two. I actually think that the Brixner Rote ("Red one from the Brixen area") is a Vif d'Etampes that lead it's own life for the last 100 years, resulting in a similar tasting but smaller pumpkin.

I also grow some carving pumpkins as I now live in an area that actually celebrates Halloween (didn't know that.. ) It's rare here in Europe, they just start it as a fun thing for the children.. It's really native to the US though. I purchased some "Mammoth Gold" seeds for this.. hope these will do?

Yes, we call them all of them pumpkins here. Like we call all pepper powder paprika. When we say pepper we mean pepper corns :D And what would be the good pumpkin for carving? and which one for pumpkin pie?

Tastewise nothing beats the two I mentioned (for me; pumpkin pie, pumpkin soup, roasting, the seeds taste good as well), but they are relatively small. If you get them to be around 15lb (8 kg) you should consider yourself a good grower. They say they can reach double that, but I think that takes hydroponics..

Isn't it a bit early for sowing in PL? I can't imagine how large it will get before you can plant out in May (!). 

(I already planted one, just to see how fast it grows.. so I know when to actually sow the main batch).

It is but i was testing seeds for germination and i let it be afterwards. I can put it to greenhouse late april/early may.

Thanks to Serrano for about half of these. I think these are the varieties I've settled on. I may add more. I included what we call pumpkins, squash & zucchini, but I guess are all refered to ask pumpkins in parts of Europe.

Australian Butter
Chersonskaya
Connecticut Field
Jack B Little
Marina di Chioggia
Moravka
Musque D'Provence
New England Pie
Rouge Vif D'Etampes
Butternut, Orange
Butternut, Tahitian
Cocozelle
Early Prolific Straightneck
Flat White
Golden Zucchini
Kakai
Luffa
North Georgia Candy Roaster
Spaghetti
Winter Luxury

A tip - germinate huskless seeds on paper towel and transfer to soil when the root is about inch long or more. You can even wait for first leafs. When i planted directly most of seeds rotten instead of germinating.

had the first female flower last friday on my 'Pastila-Champagne Vanilje' 
looks like hand pollination was good.
today Picture 
HV03JJG.png

Pastila-Champagne Vanilje­

I kept only one fruit on the vine this year, 16'' inch long 25'' circumference 12 pounds

JMmDvw3.png

Chickpea Stew Recipe
http://icookyoueat.squarespace.com/blog/2012/10/26/the-battle-of-the-pastila-shampan-squash.html

I got my first seeds from Hristo Hristov from BULGARIA and he decribe it like""

Pastila-Shampan (Fruit candy Champagne) - From Russia. Initially I thought that this may be a French variety imported in Russia, but now I know it's a Russian variety. - Average weight 3-4 kg. / 6.5-9 lb. Pink or bicolour skin - pink and grey-blue. Medium thick, orange flesh. Advertised as having vanilla aroma, and surprisingly sometimes it really has a touch of vanilla/milk flavour, when steamed (when baked loose that flavour and becomes much like 'Pink Banana')! 
""
see image http://seedswap.freehostia.com/snimki/pastila-shampan.jpg

seeds will be available as soon as I will eat it. Will let it rest for a month

Back