• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple Jalapeno

Well I've never grown these before, but I think this little fellow (albeit undersized) is ripe. What say you who've grown these before?
IMG_5863.jpg

Did the pepper transition from red to purple? My purple peppers transitioned from purple to red, and were delicious at both stages.

Started out this color with bits of green/yellow to it, transitioned to fully this shade (which IMO is between red and purple).

i grew them in the 2010 season, they were good as jalapenos go, seemed a little hot but not as hot as say mucho nacho or biker billy, they transition from green to purple to red, they are a bit smaller than the average jal there not a bad choice :cool:

thanks your friend Joe

I was thinking about trying a bunch of non-chinense varieties next year for a change (mostly frutescens and baccatum, but maybe some annuums), and was considering doing a jalapeno and cayenne comparison. If not next year, the year after. The purple jalapeno was one of the varieties I was considering. I heard they're actually pretty good.

Well after reading these I picked it thismorning and ate it.

NO SEEDS -- weird!
It was good, very normal jalapeno flavor although on the mild side. Could be related to the lack of seeds?

I see that smaller is normal, I think this first pepper was still a bit of a runt though correct?

I think thats just a normal jalapeno ripening. A lot of times they will turn black, or purple, before they turn red. Jalapenos take a long time to ripen. Its better to pick them when they are green and big so that more can set.

Back