• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple jalapenos

I grew purple jalapenos a few years ago but I forgot to take notes and I'm considering whether to grow them again next season. I remember them being quite hot but I think there was something about the texture or taste that wasn't really jalapeno like.
Can anyone remind me of how they grow and taste? I'm digging through old photos but I can't seem to find any purple jals:(

I grew some this year and loved them. Not a TON of heat, but a lot more than I get from the supermarket. There are a bit smaller, but the flavor was great. I gave a few friends these really loved them. I usually keep a few on the counter and just slice them up with eggs, rice, to add a little heat and flavor.

The purple JalapeƱo I grow is slightly hotter than my 'regular' Jals and a fraction smaller. I haven't noticed a difference in texture.

I'm hoping to get some seeds and try the purple Jalapeno, But I've had no luck with any Jalapenos seeds or Serranos seeds sproting... ??? maybe to hot ? Habaneros, Bhuts, no problem go figer.

Does the purple jalapeno have another name? If I wanted to get them from my seed vendor, what would I ask for. May be a dumb question, but hope not. LOL.

I've grown Sayulas and mine went from green to red. Anybody grow jals that ripen to colors other than red like jalapeno yellow or JALAPENONA?

Exotic Island said:
I'm hoping to get some seeds and try the purple Jalapeno, But I've had no luck with any Jalapenos seeds or Serranos seeds sproting... ??? maybe to hot ? Habaneros, Bhuts, no problem go figer.

I've just eaten my first grown purple jalapeno's...the heat is very mild but they're very juicy small little peppers...saved some seeds and will gladly send them to you:)
p.s:
Thanks Omri for fixing me with those(the plants were very short and didn't produce as much as i expected but their taste more then compensated
for that...:cool:)

captainpepper said:
I've just eaten my first grown purple jalapeno's...the heat is very mild but they're very juicy small little peppers...saved some seeds and will gladly send them to you:)
p.s:
Thanks Omri for fixing me with those(the plants were very short and didn't produce as much as i expected but their taste more then compensated
for that...:cool:)
Sorry to hear about the poor yield. if you need any assistance with next year's crop, I've got way too much time in my hands.

Back