• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple Jolokia

So I havent been able to find out much about the Purple Jolokia pepper plant, no not the Purple Bhut Jolokia, the Purple Jolokia. I received a dozen seeds from a forum member this year and I ended up with 6 plants that are growing. I moved them sunday to a better part of the yard with more sun and tonight I was greeted by some pods on them. I havent tried them yet and want to let them grow awhile to see how big they get, here are a couple pictures for your enjoyment...

This one is the largest plant and yes I know the pot is on the small side...
PJ1.jpg

Most the leaves are green but some turn purple/black and the flowers are stunning in purple/white. The stems of the plant also have purple streaks in them...
PJ3.jpg

Here is a small pod, really dark purple color so far...
PJ4.jpg

This is the largest pod so far, it is about 2" long right now...
PJ2.jpg

That is an interesting plant. Those blooms are really cool. What are the peppers supposed to be like? Are they on par with the Bhut Jolokia or are they a tamer variety?

I'm growing the same ones this season for the first time, can't wait to try them out!!
"Purple Naga Jolokia"

I really dont know Nova, like I said I cannot find much info on it.

I have not tried eating one yet PepperPikker so I cant say, they are supposed to be scorchers though.

SuperHot, on mine, the flowers seem to shrivel up and then the next day I have a 1/2" pepper, is yours doing this also? It is an odd plant, never grown anything quite like it before.

that's purple cayenne dude! i grew those in 2007. they are good peppers. i liked cooking with them. especially seafood. but not bhut.

The purple naga jolokias have been around these parts for many years now and are quite dissapointing in the opinion of most chile-heads. Remember that jolokia just means pepper/chile, and nagaland is a region in India where many chiles grow
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=naga+jolokia+purple&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search

The purple naga jolokias have been around these parts for many years now and are quite dissapointing in the opinion of most chile-heads. Remember that jolokia just means pepper/chile, and nagaland is a region in India where many chiles grow
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=naga+jolokia+purple&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&chile=1&submit=Search
Ahh, makes sense.
It does look similar to the PC-1 too.

Well nonetheless, it's puurty. :D

that's purple cayenne dude! i grew those in 2007. they are good peppers. i liked cooking with them. especially seafood. but not bhut.
I never said they were Bhuts :D Like I mentioned, I got the seeds in trade, always interested in them and they are pretty, either way its a new one to try.

Do you know how the strain was established Potawie?
No idea, I just know its been around in chile forums probably longer than any other "naga jolokia" and is never recommended.
Purple flowers and pods always make me think ornamental but I've never tried them personally

I was curious as to how those plants were doing. Nice to see them producing.
I'm still waiting on mine to fully ripen as well so I can try one or two.

I know them as Naga Jolokia Purple and they should ripen red.

Nagajolokiapurple2.jpg

Nagajolokiapurple3rijp.jpg

When ripe they look exactly like Naga Jolokia also known as Indian PC-1

Back