• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Purple stems!!??

It's quite normal, probably a bit of suntan...

Heres some stem suntan
2093755880104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

2639847050104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

Leaf with Suntan
2059359860104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

2750738050104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

Heh... I noticed that some of my seedlings had a purple-looking stem too. Had no idea what it was, so I just let them go, figuring it was nothing major. And it turns out they had a tan? LOL. Sorry, but the idea of that is just funny. :P

Some of them still appear to have purple stems. Other than that, for the most part, they don't seem to look much (if at all) different from the rest. They're all pretty leggy, though... both the green- and purple-stemmed ones. Which is weird, because... wouldn't that signify they they're not getting enough light?

Yep same here, probably has something to do with the CFLs, the more CFL light the more purple... I had one plant show no green what so ever on it's stems, purple all the way until it went outside. Beforehand it was in a grow box with four 26 Watt CFLs 16 hours a day.

On Wikipedia it says

The purple strips on the stem are anthocyanin, due to the growth under blue-green spectrum fluorescent lighting.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JalapeƱo

For Anthocyanin it says:

In flowers, bright reds and purples are adaptive for attracting pollinators. In fruits, the colorful skins also attract the attention of animals, which may eat the fruits and disperse the seeds. In photosynthetic tissues (such as leaves and sometimes stems), anthocyanins have been shown to act as a "sunscreen", protecting cells from high-light damage by absorbing blue-green and UV light, thereby protecting the tissues from photoinhibition, or high-light stress.

anothere quick google search turned this up....which is what has already been said...this says you can correct the issue, but it has been my experience that the purpling effect doesn't cause problems with the seedlings (so far anyway)

"Help! My seedlings are turning purple, what do I do?

This is usually a result of some combination of cool temperatures, low phosphorus or micronutrients, and too much light. Some varieties seem to do this routinely. High Anthocyanin varieties have naturally purple leaves and stems. Purple color usually appears on the seed leaves, not so much on the true leaves. Eventually the plants grow out of it. The best solution is to use a good micronutrient supplement with extra phosphorus to water with. You can also toss a handful of rusty nails in a jug of water and use it to water the seedlings. They seem to like the extra iron. Consider also the water source you are using. If it is clorinated or has an excess of salt, it can build up in the pots and cause serious problems. You could try flushing the pots by deliberately overwatering till it leaches the contaminants from the soil. Immediately follow up with a nutrient supplement if you do this as it will also leach most of the nitrogen from the soil. You might also consider spraying with seaweed emulsion. If you are keeping the plants under 24 hour lights, turn them off for 8 hours per day."

Thanks for the info AJ. I was noticing that all my seedlings also have purple stems and from your post it looks like it is probably due to them being in coco coir and not getting enough nutrients. I have a small bottle of Spray-n-Grow so it looks like it is time to pick up a spray bottle and start feeding them.

POTAWIE said:
Not just seedlings, it can happen to stems, leaves, and pods indoors or out. Some varieties show more than others. I frequently get purple tinted jalapenos(and many other types) when theres lots of sun but they eventually ripen to red

A lot of my red devil's tongue pods did the same thing before ripening to red.
Freaky.

I have purpling stems,leaves, and pods all the time and for me its definitely not a deficiency, it seems to only occur indoors with certain types of lighting(likely blue/green spectrum), and outdoors only during the hottest/sunniest periods. Certain varieties, like many jalapenotypes, are usually more susceptible to having purpling pods than others

RichardK said:
It's quite normal, probably a bit of suntan...

Heres some stem suntan
2093755880104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

2639847050104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

Leaf with Suntan
2059359860104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

2750738050104027106S600x600Q85.jpg

your pics make me really want to buy a good camera!

so, if i had a problem with a plant i could actually show someone what i was talking about, and maybe you guys could actually see one of my throw down entries lol

Besides being sun tanned it differs with varieties, as some of you already mentioned. My experience is:

most annuum - green seedling stems
some annuum like czeckoslovakian black or peruvian purple have purple stems.
baccatum - slightly purple stems but mostly green

Sun tan is more dotted as above pictures whereas natural variety colour is more even and if spread to the leaves it follows the edges of the leaf.

Bhut Jolokia 3 weeks from seed..

031110b002.jpg

Another shot....

031110b003.jpg

Bhut Jolokia ~6 weeks from seed...notice it is losing the purplish color...and in my experience only a few continue to have the purpling color to them...some varieties will have darker colored and/or purple stems when they are producing...some of the Bhuts I have grown and some 7 Pot also...

031110b004.jpg

031110b009.jpg

POTAWIE said:
I have purpling stems,leaves, and pods all the time and for me its definitely not a deficiency, it seems to only occur indoors with certain types of lighting(likely blue/green spectrum), and outdoors only during the hottest/sunniest periods. Certain varieties, like many jalapenotypes, are usually more susceptible to having purpling pods than others
nailed it

Back