• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
I have my container plants in 15 gallon grow bags. I use old arrows to stake the plants, which works well. I have a wooden fence around the garden to help with the winds we get here, but the container plants are outside of the fence.
I've made a few adjustments to help with the wind and sun, but still have some pods getting the sun-scald. I'm 6'3" and the plants are right about shoulder height now.

@ Mr.Joe: I start my plants in late November-early December to get a jump start on our short season. I like to have them 14"s tall, or taller come dirt day. Depending on the plant, I keep them in #1 or #2 pots until final destination.
This year I put them out in mid March. The taller plants seem to handle the cool spells better than the 4" high babies. Nutrients this year were 3 tablespoons of Tomato Tone per grow bag. I just threw the 3 scoops in 3"s below the transplant.
Every so often I give them a mix I make with Calmag, Alaska Fish Ferts, Morbloom, Silica Blast, and Ferti-Lome Chelated Iron. I make the mix using the recommended amounts in volume. Do the math for 20 gallons of what each would require, mix and add to a gallon jug. I use the mix at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon of rainwater. I've only applied this 2 times so far this season. Actually, my potting soil is from a 1 yard pile I had piled up from other grows. I try to add compost as long as it lasted.

Devv said:
I have my container plants in 15 gallon grow bags. I use old arrows to stake the plants, which works well. I have a wooden fence around the garden to help with the winds we get here, but the container plants are outside of the fence.
I've made a few adjustments to help with the wind and sun, but still have some pods getting the sun-scald. I'm 6'3" and the plants are right about shoulder height now.

@ Mr.Joe: I start my plants in late November-early December to get a jump start on our short season. I like to have them 14"s tall, or taller come dirt day. Depending on the plant, I keep them in #1 or #2 pots until final destination.
This year I put them out in mid March. The taller plants seem to handle the cool spells better than the 4" high babies. Nutrients this year were 3 tablespoons of Tomato Tone per grow bag. I just threw the 3 scoops in 3"s below the transplant.
Every so often I give them a mix I make with Calmag, Alaska Fish Ferts, Morbloom, Silica Blast, and Ferti-Lome Chelated Iron. I make the mix using the recommended amounts in volume. Do the math for 20 gallons of what each would require, mix and add to a gallon jug. I use the mix at the rate of 1 tablespoon per gallon of rainwater. I've only applied this 2 times so far this season. Actually, my potting soil is from a 1 yard pile I had piled up from other grows. I try to add compost as long as it lasted.
I like the way you are feeding them Devv.  Great work!!!  Bet your plants are fully loaded right now.  You use a lot better fertilizer plan than I did.  I use a water soluble fertililzer from a company called Solucat which is a spanish company from Spain.  That just happens to be what is available here.  One is 20-20-20 and the other is 10-52-10.  I use the one with the bigger middle number at first, then switch over to the higher nitrogen one later.  I use it once per week usually on sundays.  You just mix 2 scoops per gallon in the watering can.  We don't have the same good options you have here in Panama.  As far as protecting the plants from sun and wind, I have my plants in big 10 gallon pots and I had to move the plants to the SW side of the house to protect them from the prevaling NE winds.  Plants would have died if I hadn't and when I finally moved the plants they looked real ragged.  I had to move all my plants up under tree's.  Some variety's can take more sun than others but anything with Bhut Jolokia in its DNA seems to need protection.  

I ammended the garden plot with a good amount of organic nutrients, added 1700lbs of compost and tilled in the cover crop I grew over the winter. I did hit them with some Alaska fish, mycos, kelp and azos last week. A 30% shade cloth covers a big part of the garden. The plants just need to learn to enjoy the wind. Plants are looking a little better each day.

@ devv my grow season isn't too short, I planted out a few weeks ago and hopefully I can grow till after November... hopefully. I started my plants early January. Starting much earlier worries me I don't want them getting outa hand.

Mr.joe said:
I ammended the garden plot with a good amount of organic nutrients, added 1700lbs of compost and tilled in the cover crop I grew over the winter. I did hit them with some Alaska fish, mycos, kelp and azos last week. A 30% shade cloth covers a big part of the garden. The plants just need to learn to enjoy the wind. Plants are looking a little better each day.

@ devv my grow season isn't too short, I planted out a few weeks ago and hopefully I can grow till after November... hopefully. I started my plants early January. Starting much earlier worries me I don't want them getting outa hand.
Mr Joe, you should be seeing lots of chili peppers in about 3 months.  You are way more ready than I ever was.  Good work.

lespaulde said:
You've been.............

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thunder Struck!

That happens to be my ring tone. I haven't picked up the guitar as much as I should lately. Try and play the intro with just one hand. My fingers aren't strong enough..BUT, they have the amps @ 110% :drunk:

Mr.joe said:

You should be good!

When I say I have a short season, it's because once the heat hits the pollination drops way down. Here it ends (the season) around mid June. That or water them every day in 95-105° until mid September.
And maybe get a good haul, last year...uh no. So I'm not playing that game anymore unless the plants show me the money :D

219.jpg

Poor pic, Top row, Thunder 3, Thunder 2. Bottom row Thunder Mystery from 2 plants...

Devv said:
Thunder Struck!

That happens to be my ring tone. I haven't picked up the guitar as much as I should lately. Try and play the intro with just one hand. My fingers aren't strong enough..BUT, they have the amps @ 110% :drunk:

You should be good!

When I say I have a short season, it's because once the heat hits the pollination drops way down. Here it ends (the season) around mid June. That or water them every day in 95-105° until mid September.
And maybe get a good haul, last year...uh no. So I'm not playing that game anymore unless the plants show me the money :D

219.jpg

Poor pic, Top row, Thunder 3, Thunder 2. Bottom row Thunder Mystery from 2 plants...

I have the same issue with temps above 100F in summer months. Some plants tolerate the heat better than others. In past years the freeze comes just when the Chinese peppers start producing. This year most plants are already flowering and I've worked harder feeding the soil so I'm hoping for better.

Mr.joe said:
I have the same issue with temps above 100F in summer months. Some plants tolerate the heat better than others. In past years the freeze comes just when the Chinese peppers start producing. This year most plants are already flowering and I've worked harder feeding the soil so I'm hoping for better.
Hi Joe,

So I don't fully understand your climate, especially during spring. What if you got 14-18" plants outside when the night time temps stay above 45°? Would the Chinense produce before the heat?
I find it a PIA to wait until fall, and respectfully refuse to do so anymore :shh: I just have too much I want to do...

Devv said:
Thunder Struck!
My reaction, exactly!

219.jpg

Those are superb examples of last year's pods, with
the added 'Lemon Twist'just to make things interesting.
Since Devv and Glen both have it, I have to think it's a thing!

The Thunder 2 pod looks just like pods from last season.
I love the caramel and yellow coloring. Hoping my BJh-2
comes out the same way!

The range of red/orange coloring from the Mystery plant
is beautiful. Last year BJh-3 had blocky orange pods as
the season progressed.

I definitely want some of the seeds from Devv and Glen's  
BJh-Mystery Yellow pods   :pray: ! I'm psyched to grow some of those
out! Would be cool to see a wider trial of that and a couple
of other varieties next season.

Good work gentlemen. I hope we can get more input from other
growers as interesting things happen!

Devv said:
Hi Joe,

So I don't fully understand your climate, especially during spring. What if you got 14-18" plants outside when the night time temps stay above 45°? Would the Chinense produce before the heat?
I find it a PIA to wait until fall, and respectfully refuse to do so anymore :shh: I just have too much I want to do...
In reality I don't know for sure, but they probably would. I've always thought of the cold weather as a bigger problem than the hot weather, but no question that summer heat slows them down. We are just barely over 45f at night now two days last week were 41f lows. No telling when the full force of summer will hit us. During June and July we can have days with 90f low. If I can just hold this weeks weather for 16 more months I'll have a great season.

PaulG said:
Those are superb examples of last year's pods, with
the added 'Lemon Twist'just to make things interesting.
Since Devv and Glen both have it, I have to think it's a thing!

The Thunder 2 pod looks just like pods from last season.
I love the caramel and yellow coloring. Hoping my BJh-2
comes out the same way!

The range of red/orange coloring from the Mystery plant
is beautiful. Last year BJh-3 had blocky orange pods as
the season progressed.

I definitely want some of the seeds from Devv and Glen's  
BJh-Mystery Yellow pods   :pray: ! I'm psyched to grow some of those
out! Would be cool to see a wider trial of that and a couple
of other varieties next season.

Good work gentlemen. I hope we can get more input from other
growers as interesting things happen!
My plants are small and look a little rough,but I do have a few flowers and some hope. With any luck I'll have pods soon

Back