• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Purple Thunder / Bhut Jolokia x (PdN x Bonda Ma Jacques)

I have decided to start a dedicated Grow Log for
the Purple Thunder Bhut Jolokia hybrid.

It made its first appearance in 2015:
"This coloration might be the result of the intense
light on these red Bhuts, but only 2/6 show the trait.
If it is a cross,the only purple-y plant near the bhut
was Trippa's Mystery Cross. All of these seeds from
the same pod:"

_DSC2559.jpg

Last edited:
PaulG said:

By making a post in this thread

Looks like some great gnarl coming along, Scott.
Hope you will grow some out next season.

Oops

Id be all too happy to be on the list for seeds and grow some next year.

lespaulde said:
Great idea dedicating a glog to this Paul, definitely gonna be a keeper this pepper! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
I think so, too, Erv! Can't wait to see some of
these gnarly suckers get some color!

BDASPNY said:
Id be all too happy to be on the list for seeds and grow some next year.

Alright, welcome aboard, Scott!

Absolutely beautiful pepper.  I have a question.  I have experience with crossing okra.  I was advised that I should back cross the f1 which I did.  This was supposed to stablize the cross.  I did this and was very pleased with the result.  I have a brand new variety of tropical okra now.  Do you ever back cross your f1's?  Or, is this not needed when developing new variety's of hot peppers?  I live in Panama.  The hottest pepper we have is called Chombo.  Its very easy to grow and very prolific.  Very close to a Scotch Bonnet in appearance but the appearance varies.  I am seeking a new variety to add to my garden.  Thanx.

Nice looking plants Paul ;)

I live in Panama.  The hottest pepper we have is called Chombo.  Its very easy to grow and very prolific.

I looked this pepper up, seeds seem hard to come by here in the states. Just one seller. Anyone find another?

Chombo is a loosely used name for a type of C Chinense pepper.  They are sold in the supermarket.  They come in Yellow or Red and are bonnet peppers.  It was explained to me that in the latino world, they are not too concerned about naming peppers.  The name Chombo supposedly means, Black man's pepper.  There could be some racial undertones  somewhere with that.  Chombo's are just hot peppers to the Latino's.  I have seen different versions of this pepper over the years.  To me, they are just an example of a C Chinense pepper.  They could be Heinz 57's for all I know.  I get my seed from any ripe chombo's that I like the look of in the markets.  In Panama there is also a plethora of sweet C Chinense peppers.  They are not popular everywhere in Panama but I see them for sale occasionally.  Yesterday I found a very nice red sweet C Chinense, larger than a normal hot Bonnet pepper or Chombo and very peppery in flavor with no floral smell or taste.  Very sweet.  I ate some today.  Fabulous.  I saved all the seed and have a dinner plate covered over with them drying.  Whether they will grow out true or not I do not know.  I did plant some seed and will be glad to send some out to people that are curious about what these sweet Chinense peppers are like.  The closest thing I can think of in the states is a variety called Arroz Con Pollo which is sold by Baker Creek seed.

Glen_ said:
Absolutely beautiful pepper.  I have a question.  I have experience with crossing okra.  I was advised that I should back cross the f1 which I did.  This was supposed to stablize the cross.  I did this and was very pleased with the result.  I have a brand new variety of tropical okra now.  Do you ever back cross your f1's?  Or, is this not needed when developing new variety's of hot peppers?  I live in Panama.  The hottest pepper we have is called Chombo.  Its very easy to grow and very prolific.  Very close to a Scotch Bonnet in appearance but the appearance varies.  I am seeking a new variety to add to my garden.  Thanx.

:welcome: to the THP, Glen!

I didn't back cross on purpose, but the Purple Thunder
and one of the parents (PdN x BMJ) were both grown
in my back yard, so it is possible there was an accidental
back cross, but the chances are really small, so the realistic
answer is no.

I would be happy to send you some seeds for the
Purple Thunder this Fall if you are interested.

The sweet chinense you mentioned above sounds
interesting!

Devv said:
Nice looking plants Paul ;)

I looked this pepper up, seeds seem hard to come by here in the states. Just one seller. Anyone find another?

A quick Google search showed several sellers of seeds. Most I am not familiar with so I cannot speak to the reliability or quality of seed stock.

Glen_ said:
Thanx for the welcome.

Yes, I would like to get on that wish list.  Thats a really pretty new variety of pepper.

http://seedsavingnetwork.proboards.com/thread/287/tried-sweet-habeneros

Follow this link and you can see foto's of these sweet chinense peppers.  They are interesting.

PaulG said:
Thanks for the link. Going to check it out right now.

I think the Aji Dulce Puerto Rico on semillas.de is very similar. I can't seem to link directly to the pepper but just put the name in the search bar and you'll find it. 

b3rnd said:

I think the Aji Dulce Puerto Rico on semillas.de is very similar. I can't seem to link directly to the pepper but just put the name in the search bar and you'll find it. 
Thanks for that, Bernd. 

I hope you are interested in some of these
Purple Thunder seeds for next season.

I looked at the foto.  The peppers do look a little similar but they are not the same pepper.  Thanx for viewing the foto's of it.  There are several variety's shown on that thread where the sweet pepper is.  They are all just called little sweet peppers where I live.  I believe there are many different variety's of sweet ahi that can be found in different markets all over the Latino world.  I like this new variety of ajicito because it is large enough to handle easily in the kitchen.  Just cut em in half quickly and scoop the seeds etc out and chop em up.  Actually, all the sweet little peppers I have tried are pretty good.  They all seem to look like C Chinense peppers when you grow them out.  You know, the wrinkly leaves with the short wide leaf.  I haven't tried it yet but I plan to use these types of peppers as fillers in hot sauce.  That will require a little experimentation yet.

Glen_ said:
 I haven't tried it yet but I plan to use these types of peppers as fillers in hot sauce.  That will require a little experimentation yet.
That is a great idea, Glen!

Back